Fly Fusion Forums

Pretreating Dry Flies

keet

Flyagra works, it does have a bit of smell to it sort of like kerosene. I use a stiff bristle paint brush instead of dunking flies right into solution.this way you are able to apply solution only to the wings without soaking entire body.

One thing I noticed is it affects tippet material making it brittle.

It does keep flies on top for long time if applied in advance. I guess it gets absorbed into natural materials instead of just being layered atop as a coating.

Flyagra works, it does have a bit of smell to it sort of like kerosene. I use a stiff bristle paint brush instead of dunking flies right into solution.this way you are able to apply solution only to the wings without soaking entire body.

One thing I noticed is it affects tippet material making it brittle.

It does keep flies on top for long time if applied in advance. I guess it gets absorbed into natural materials instead of just being layered atop as a coating.

I notice the brittle tippet part of treating flies as well.

I use a "grease" style treatment, and prefer it because I can see when it's time to re-treat when my flies are sinkers.

-M.

PS- have you tried any 'spray-style' treatments?

Just got back from a trip to the BC interior. I had tied up a dozen Tom Thumbs and dipped them all in Flyagra, set them aside to dry for a week and then packed them up. I didn't notice any smell and no visible "oil slick" that I have observed at times using recently dipped flies. I did notice whoever, that the flies kept floating, without any added floatant, even after having been taken by as many as 9 trout in succession (the record) and being reduced to a handful of straggly fibers.

• Like 1