Fly Fusion Forums

Government Makes Report A Poacher Line Available To Protect Public Lands From Abuse

Hopefully irresponsible OHV users will feel the changing of the tides this long weekend. It's time these folks be held accountable for their destructive behavior:

“We encourage all Albertans to respect the land and comply with any bans or restrictions in place to avoid enforcement actions resulting in fines or other legal consequences. Albertans love their natural areas and have a right to enjoy them undamaged now and into the future.”

Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks

If you see OHV abuse, call RAP immediately: 1-800-642-3800

http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=41782E7B4529B-033B-BBBD-FFA408EB052F662F#.Vz4XBBv7EhE.facebook

• Like 1

Almost a year ago, I got video evidence of OHV (or more like Jeep off roading in the river)abuse on the Highwood. First thing I did was call RAP. It's was the only number that came to mind right off the bat.

Like I said almost a year ago and I haven't heard back from the C.O about a guilty plea or trail date..... How am I to know if I made a difference???? I wonder if there's a reward now with a conviction or a plea of OHV misuse???

Without enhanced enforcement this won't make a significant difference. It's time for an OHV task force to be created between F&W and RCMP.

I couldn't have said it better - this is a step in the right direction though.

Yup, this is excellent because I know we called in illegal OHV use before and nobody seemed to know what to do with the info. Sometimes you'd call the RCMP and they'd tell you to call SRD, SRD would tell you to call the RCMP.

One problem I think needs to be solved is the difficulty in pursuing ATVs. One day I was at the McLean Creek general store and watched a quad come tearing down the Millardville gravel road and turned onto the paved road - ATVs are not allowed on either of those roads - and an SRD truck was pursuing him. Once that quad got to a trailhead there's no way the officer would've been able to follow in a full-sized pickup. Enforcement is either going to need more quads or helicopters to catch these guys.

Good move on the Govts part.

Just so ya' know, fishermen and hunters pay for the Report a Poacher program through a levy on your fishing licenses. Quadders pay...........nothing.

The only enforcement officer getting things done is Corporal Howse of the Rocky Detachment. He needs to be replicated throughout Alberta.

Let's get on K Divsions case and get him some help.

Don

Keep in mind to use RAP. The gov enforcement uses the calls as data points to distribute funding and placement of enforcement actions and officers. Even if nothing happens in your instance, it does have impact in the bigger picture. If we don't use it, don't show the need, we simply won't get actions taken. It's up to us.

Great move. Thanks for the post.

Hope they get inundated with calls.

Seems this should also apply to abuse of the old "14-day random camping" reg that was NEVER enforced....and peeps set up camps for 3 or 4 months.

When these free-loading RV squatters invade streams for weeks on end and put water pumps in streams for wash water etc that should also be considered an abuse.

"Book 'em Dano" B)

• Like 1

When these free-loading RV squatters invade streams for weeks on end and put water pumps in streams for wash water etc that should also be considered an abuse.

Plus the lovely ones who feel that the section of river they're next to belongs to them. I've heard of more than one fly fisher being intimidated away from fishing a stretch because of the squatters. Has anyone tried reporting their vehicles as derelict?

I find it interesting that they chose to not allow comments on that particular news spot!! :P

Short but relevant story on CBC... Though I'm guessing the CBC isn't the typical media source of choice for those who may be prone to said activity

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/atv-enforcement-rules-fines-off-road-vehicles-alberta-1.3591047