Fly Fusion Forums

Hi From New Zealand

Glenbow

Howdy from NZ!

I arrived yesterday in Auckland, and spent a bit of the day getting sorted out & trying not to run into other cars that are driving on the wrong side of the road! I drove down to Taupo today (About 4 hrs S of Auckland) and it is about 30 degrees and gorgeous.

The first thing I spot wheeling into town is a fly shop, so I went there before even checking into my hotel! I got some advice & had a good chat & set off to check-in to the hotel. BTW, my Simms vest that was $150 is $300 here, and a Sage Z-axis is about $1100!!! Not too cheap here for gear. I go out tomorrow with my guide, so hopefully tomorrow bears fruit. I managed to get out for about 2 hours tonight at a local river and got a few fish - my first in NZ! Here's the best one I got today:

LakeTaupo3.jpg

This river ( I forget the name, the map's in the car) empties into Lake Taupo & you could see the trout in nice clear water - very cool. Here's some pics of the lake

The river is the bit of water this side of the row of bushes before the lake

LakeTaupo.jpg

LakeTaupo1.jpg

LakeTaupo2.jpg

Here's the only other fisher with me on the river today - he handily out-fished me (but I got the biggest one!)

LakeTaupoHeron.jpg

As it was getting dark, the rising started all over the place, and I got a number of these little guys.

WeeRainbow.jpg

Aren't they the cutest little guys you ever did see? They would hammer the P-Adams, it was a hoot!

There's also a few strange signs here:

CrazyDriverSign.jpg

Apparently when it's frosty, your rear wheels trade places with each other - thank God I came in Summer! That's it for now, tomorrow's a big day so I'll report in again when I can. That Rainbow was for you, Brownstone - I told you I'd remember! By for now,

Glenbow

That would be the Waitahanu River, Heres a shot of the foot bridge on the otherside of the highway

IMG_0983.jpg

and a little farther upstream

IMG_0997.jpg

You've done well if you've managed fish already, are the bigguns moving into the river mouth yet, when we we're there in January we saw a lot of fish in the river that would rival most BC Steel, huge trout in crystal clear water.

Have Fun

Colin

Colin,

You're right - it's the Waitahanui river. I haven't seen any BIG ones yet, mostly similar to the one I got & tons of the wee guys (didn't actually see them, but they were rising a lot near dark - caddis started coming off as I left) I did get that bigger one near the mouth though.

Hawg, I left the big stik at home so's I wouldn't catch any Burbot or Lake whites on purpose. I'd hate to make my guide look bad. Thanks for the posts guys & I'll keep it comin' as I can.

My wife and I were there a Taupo for two weeks this past January. Water was high then and largest rbw we landed was 7 pounds. Saw large that we could not get to. Never did hire a guide while there. Sure liked the area.

Very clear waters, spooky fish at times. Saw some really good browns under bank overhangs as well.