Fly Fusion Forums

Thank God. Somebody Understands...

DonAndersen

Interesting read, thanks Don. Where the author states that several rod companies are making forays into this, would that be a reference to glass? Just curious if any new rods come to mind that have those characteristics, I'd certainly be interested to try one out.

Is say fiberglass products are included but also an indication of this trend. I don't keep up on current models and marketing, but Winston BXt and Sage Circa are a few recent carbon products that qualify. Also there are plenty of smaller companies that have current products and have consistently filled the niche over the past few years. Burkenheimer, Morgan and Stephen are a few of those.

But why look new when there is a wealth of aftermarket options? Any Sage RPL and earlier are fine rods. I have a Graphite II that's keeps me smiling. All older and some modern Winstons. Older Scott, Orvis and other major brand offers all have great options. And then there is cane and glass. The number of <$200 rods out there that are exceptional casting and fishing tools is huge.

• Like 2

Great article. I've been fishing largely with slower rods (Beulah 5 wt.) for several years and in describing how nice they are to cast have had mainly dubious audiences.

But I've found using a slower rod changes the entire fishing experience. In forcing you to slow down your cast and focus on suppleness rather than brute force, it has a distinct relaxing effect, lowering the stress of "getting after" the fish. For me, anyway.

The only funny note in the article was that fishing in big wind is an "unusual" circumstance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only funny note in the article was that fishing in big wind is an "unusual" circumstance.

Some of the best advice that I ever received was randomly delivered as I was cursing the wind: "If you want to enjoy fly fishing in Alberta, learn to enjoy the wind."

I want to believe he was right. Also, saltwater fishing is heaven on earth.

For past few years I find my 5wt pflueger purist spends more time with me than any other rod. Got it by chance from an old friend, re wrapped some hardware and it casts great.

It is one of those rods that just works for me, I never think about casting while casting it and anything within 60ish feet is on target.

Any fish bigger than 18" bends it right to cork and 4lb tippet survives the battle. Not the best tool out on windy days but for 90% of bow river dry fly fishing this is my choice.

Oops this should be posted in "favorite dry fly rod".