Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Vs Skiff

Hi All;

New to this forum but have read some great threads so far!

Does anyone have any preference between a drift boat vs skiff ? Doing some research as i'm looking to upgrade my boat. Have mostly used a zodiac or NRS fishing rafts in the past, but want to upgrade so there's more room for my puppy to join now that she's getting bigger

post-8716-0-59758700-1459355716_thumb.jpg.

Cheers,

EM

Where are you planning on doing your fishing? That's the biggest difference. Skiffs do well in our winds, but hairier water they're not meant for.. I see skiffs as extra-low pro.. Good for the Bow and Mo for the most part, but i don't think they'd be a great idea for say the Elk or similar.

A couple of reasons I bought a drift boat & not a skiff, First of all & this is me personally, I like to stand & cast with a skiff you need to buy the leg brace option, which is no biggie but I like having something more than that in front of me to catch me or brace me or my passengers, when the occasion arises or when stuff happens is damn nice to have & I have had to use it, better than a dunking.

Secondly water over the bow, but that depends on where you are going to float. I have floated many rivers in US & have taken water on over the front & on more than one occasion, though not dangerous just wet on days maybe you don't want to be wet or on gear you don't want wet.

A skiff does have more room in which to move but if you buy the right drift boat you can still have all that convenience.

Extra low profile drift boat is what I have.

I wouldn't give up on a NRS fishing raft. Especially not for Alberta. Too many waters without boat launches that are floatable with an inflatable. If you have a trailered drift boat/skiff you're pretty confined to the Bow, OM, RDR and perhaps a few others.

• Like 1