Fly Fusion Forums

Jet Boat

I hardly ever go above MacKinnon's with my Jon/Jet. Too many people, boats and angry people mad at the jet fishermen. But to be honest, when I put in at Johnsons, I seldom see any other fisher people unless they are running a jet themselves. In early and out before the floaters come down. Works for me. Having said that, I am always looking out for other people when boating, I try to follow the rules, try not to piss anyone off if I have to go by them, but also to be there if anyone is in need (such as a medical emergency, boater problems, etc. I am sure most jet boater guys would do the same. I always carry a first aid kit, water, aspirin, sunscreen,cell phone, and emergency tool kit, just in case someone were to need it. Let's look out for each other, be respectful of other persons on the water and try to enjoy this thing called fishing, (which most of use our jets to do) without all the BS about jets versus drift.

My 2 cents worth.

Have a great day!

That's the considerate fisher and NCSO in you Bud. I too have helped on the water and had others help me. Hey Dino.

• Like 1

Its good to see the response from responsible jet boat owners. I spend a lot of time on the river below MacKinnon's and to be honest have rarely experienced any issues with jet boats. The one exception has been the Calgary Fire Department throwing a wake up one day and bouncing my drift boat off the rocks!

One question: Has anyone seen a Fire Department jet boat cursing the river on a rainy cold day? Not good for a suntan I guess!

• Like 2

I've just been on Google Maps and it shows the city boundary down as far down stream as Cottonwoods on the north side of the river.

Interestingly enough the rumour mill has duck hunters getting tickets for shooting in the "City" last fall between Policeman's and Cotton Woods.

• Like 1

Its good to see the response from responsible jet boat owners. I spend a lot of time on the river below MacKinnon's and to be honest have rarely experienced any issues with jet boats. The one exception has been the Calgary Fire Department throwing a wake up one day and bouncing my drift boat off the rocks!

One question: Has anyone seen a Fire Department jet boat cursing the river on a rainy cold day? Not good for a suntan I guess!

Only if you're referring to the suntans that the recreational floaters would get on a sunny day.

If the floaters were out in droves on a cloudy/rainy day (which they aren't) then I am sure you would see the fire crew out there checking for beer, life vests, rescuing, etc. They aren't concerned about the guys fishing from boats so much as the drunk teenagers. Unless you aren't wearing a life jacket, then they will be all over you like a fat kid on a box of smarties.

• Like 1

Educate me on the Jets because I am really unsure of how they actually effect the River and its inhabitants.

If the water was always deep it probably would not make much of a difference but do they not stress the whole river ecosystem when they are blasting the bottom of the river while in shallower areas? I don't like the noise factor while fishing but at the same time I do realize I need to share the river with others and they may differ in how they like to recreate. I am always of the opinion that we need to share everything and try to get along with all users and their views. I hope the people who like their jets don't bitch out loud about the ATV's along the Livingstone because it's no different really. I think the damage is easier to see from the Atvs but the effect the ATV's have on the fish and inhabitants may not be any worse than the jets. In the beginning when there was just the Honda trikes out on the market I bet no one thought they would be such a pain in the ass that they have become. Imagine the Bow river with 20 times the Jets on it in five years as right now, because it is quite likely to happen. All the guided boats will need to get jetted to stay competitive and then the rest of the fly fishers will be in the line up to buy.

As a side note.... first guy who passes me on the Crow I am going to clothesline... lol....really.

I am only in shallow water for about 30 seconds per trip.

I am not sure how to equate my water usage compared to ATV use..

Pretty goofy anomaly, if you ask me.

I have not seen a great increase in Jet boats on the Bow, probably do to the cost.

Noise factor.. I am alone on the river 99% of the time.

If a tree falls...

ATV's are washing their rigs in the water and doing 25 years of damage per season..

But , every user has their opinion and I respect every user is allowed to use their rig, responsibly, and to operate within the LAW.

Interesting for sure Fish head but,

I bet the average quadder is never close to being in the shallow water for 30 seconds and the usage is going to go up fairly quickly. We have fly shops selling them now right.....

As for cost your Jet boat is very likely to be way below the average cost of a powered boat in this province. Go out to any lake and there are more boats between 50 -100k than below. A cost of a jet boat will not be a deciding factor to buy one or not. Noise factor is an issue as the people who fish the middle Bow would be incredibly lucky if they have not heard a jet on the water. I find it interesting that you can justify your Jet just a little more by pointing out how another recreator is much worse than you to minimize your damage. You and the ATV's are in the same group unless you are using an electric Jet, those things usually burn a pile of coal

If i recall right, you got the jet in 2010 or so. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but I recall you above deerfoot during the stonefly times in 2011-2012....

The city limit included Deerfoot by 2007. Feel free to look at the municipal maps here:

https://data.calgary.ca/OpenData/Pages/DatasetListingAlphabetical.aspx

So glad to hear you were breaking the law. original.jpg

Wrong ,

As I was asked and even chatted with fish & wildlife at the time , just to make 100% sure , no fine or tickets as the river was marked as city limits for that time way above the Deerfoot bridge , about 2 miles up and it was also not a straight line across the river for the mark , it was very close to the pump house ,

And if it was out of limits would of been allot of jets and green Jon boats getting ticketed or fine ,

• Like 1

Well Lad;

I do not care enough to debate your post.

I have spent over 3000 days fishing the Bow during my lifetime.

I have seen a lot of things come and go.

You are correct about most boats used in Alberta being upwards of $40k..

Me and my small group of users will try to remain invisible..

The Bow is still a pristine, beautiful place to fish...

Later

Thanks- And have a great Easter weekend.

• Like 1