Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Cool?

reevesr1

So I've noticed lately a few new, younger, additions to your Spey Rod community. Suddenly there are lots of BEEEYYYAHHHHS, Hells yea mengs, and other hip hop speech creeping into the Spey Rod reports. It brought up a question in my mind:

Is it possible to be cool and fish with a spey rod?

After years of being, and observing other fishermen, I can make the following statement:

It is very close to impossible to be cool with any type of fishing rod in your hand, and even closer to impossible with a Fly Rod.

So with a Spey Rod, no way. And has anyone seen Toolman's car? Practical, yes. But the antithesis of cool.

So Max, Brent and other young folk, stop living a lie and embrace your geekiness! Because make no mistake, geeks you are. (but geeks who can catch fish, I'll grant you that)

Guest bigbadbrent
So I've noticed lately a few new, younger, additions to your Spey Rod community. Suddenly there are lots of BEEEYYYAHHHHS, Hells yea mengs, and other hip hop speech creeping into the Spey Rod reports. It brought up a question in my mind:

Is it possible to be cool and fish with a spey rod?

After years of being, and observing other fishermen, I can make the following statement:

It is very close to impossible to be cool with any type of fishing rod in your hand, and even closer to impossible with a Fly Rod.

So with a Spey Rod, no way. And has anyone seen Toolman's car? Practical, yes. But the antithesis of cool.

So Max, Brent and other young folk, stop living a lie and embrace your geekiness! Because make no mistake, geeks you are. (but geeks who can catch fish, I'll grant you that)

byah byah byyyyyyyah!

i'm outside, doing a 'pretty' hobby, i tie flies most nights..im the epitome of fish geek, not so much 'wheres my calculator' geek....

Guest bigbadbrent

I can also tell you meeting women isnt great when they're like..

so what do you do?

"Well, im a chemistry major, who spends most of his time either working at a fly fishing shop, or on the river fishing.."

Their thoughts (or at least what i think haha)

1. He's a chemistry major - heads up, nerd alert

2. Fly Fishing, isnt that kind of, oldmanish?

3. Who wants to work at a shop where you talk about fly fishing

OR you get the ones that are interested in going fishing, go once, then never want to go again..

hence why i'm single

Im sure max has the same deal, hard to keep a relationship when you're on the river every day for months straight as a job, then go fishing after..

You just can't stand to watch it can you? The thought of a little punk like that actually being "Cooler" than the Rickr is to hard to handle.

Don't sweat it (see I'm cool to). :lol:

Here's a link for your new avatar.

http://66.132.211.220/images_sm/8509.jpg

What.....where.... Anyone seen Mr. Kotter (or Kotairrrrr).

Actually, I'm more like Horshack, don't you think?

And since I've just become "the Rickr" am I supposed to start referring to myself in the third person? I think Rickr needs to watch that video now. Rickr likes videos.

Oh and Cheeler, takes a special man to carry a yellow stick. Though not necessarily a cool one. More like short bus special.

Edit: Watched the video. There's 10 minutes Rickr will never get back.

Of course Spey Casting is cool...just look for yourself...

"The King of Swing"...

JTI_4546x.jpg

photo by J. Tran

So...Pay no attention to that rickr...he's one of those "one handers"....

We don't associate with his kind around here. He's just jealous is all, cause we all know those "one handers", all have an inferiority complex around the Spey crowd...the ladies notice that too...

"The King of Swing"...

JTI_4546x.jpg

photo by J. Tran

We don't associate with his kind around here. He's just jealous is all, cause we all know those "one handers", all have an inferiority complex around the Spey crowd...

Toolman.....that picture is freakin awsome......

Long live the one handers.

"The King of Swing"...

JTI_4546x.jpg

photo by J. Tran

We don't associate with his kind around here. He's just jealous is all, cause we all know those "one handers", all have an inferiority complex around the Spey crowd...the ladies notice that too...

Oh, so now I see. The cool just jumps off the page. Sorry for calling "The King of Swing" uncool. You know, if you could get that car of yours in the background, it would just seal the deal. You wouldn't be able to beat the ladies off with a stick. Not even a 13'6" one. By the way, isn't Max's bigger? :lol:

alrighty o lets set this straight..rick..ur talkin too the original lanksta gansta of flyfishin..in calgary anyway.......like come on who else says dope and dont mean doobies...or slaying em and not killin anything or callin whitties cracka assd fish...cheeler i shoulda showed u my loop 14' 9wt yellow.....shes yellow and bin out for 3 yrs now...king of swing..we will se about that, bin swinging my whole line single handed and jsut piekced up the spey..ill give it too ya now..but rick mine ais WAY BIGGER....brent i jstu follow the catch and realease practice when it come too fishin and women till i find the one knowone else can top(Keep it positive buddy)...and i will beat u up over flyfishin...lmao...wutta thread...

Spey can mix cool with trad' me thinks...I remember on numerous occasions on the Bulkley for instance where you get alot of "traditional" people hanging out....rolling up to a run with system of a down (and if ya know system they ain't traditional) cranked up rocking out sugar and all these heads turning and wondering "who do these punks think they are"....Well I find if ya lay out a 100ft + bomb then proceed to nail a steel in the water that these "traditional" guys just ran through they figure it out mighty fast...that "traditional" can be cool also!! Next time I see those guys I hope they will be rock'n out to Johnny Cash.

Can you be cool Speycasting, never really thought of it, but if you want to look really cool, put down the Ladies rod and get a proper Double-Hander :lol: , what about Speycasting Downtown with the Kilt on, or maybe i should just stay in the Bar with the Kilt on, seem to work alright. B)

Been really busy since i got home, but good to see you guys are becoming SPEY MAD.

Gordon.

alrighty o lets set this straight..rick..ur talkin too the original lanksta gansta of flyfishin..in calgary anyway.......like come on who else says dope and dont mean doobies...or slaying em and not killin anything or callin whitties cracka assd fish...cheeler i shoulda showed u my loop 14' 9wt yellow.....shes yellow and bin out for 3 yrs now...king of swing..we will se about that, bin swinging my whole line single handed and jsut piekced up the spey..ill give it too ya now..but rick mine ais WAY BIGGER....brent i jstu follow the catch and realease practice when it come too fishin and women till i find the one knowone else can top(Keep it positive buddy)...and i will beat u up over flyfishin...lmao...wutta thread...

Weedy1, where are ya when I need ya? Put this through the translator!!!

I think he may have called me out, but I'm not entirely sure. I do know he just called whities cracka assd (is there a vowel missing) fish. And I think he called out the King. Very confusing to anyone over 40, that I can tell you.

He does seem proud of that yellow rod. Gee, wonder who started that trend?

alrighty oh, (no direct translation) [ok] let's set this straight... Rick... You are talking to the original [tall and/or lanky] gangster of fly fishing... in Calgary anyway... like come on who else says 'dope' and don't mean [joints/reefers] or 'slaying them', and not killing anything or calling whitefish cracker (another slang for white people you're from the south - figure it out ;) ) a@@ed fish... Cheeler, I should have showed you my loop 14 foot 9 wieght yellow [speyrod]... she is yellow and has been out for 3 years now... king of swing... we will see about that, I have been swinging my whole line single handed and just picked up the spey... I will give it to you now... But Rick, mine is WAY BIGGER... Brent, I just follow the catch and release [method] when it comes to fishing and women, until I find the one no one else can top... (keep it positive buddy - editorial comment) and I will beat you up over fly fishing... laughing my a@@ off... what a thread....

ok, that was my best Maxwell - English translation I could do with approximate punctuation. translating from another language is always an iffy process unless you are fluent in both languages. so this was more of a guessitmate figurative translation.