Fly Fusion Forums

Table Saws

I know there are quite a few handy folks on the board here, so thought I'd throw this out for opinions. I am currently looking at options for a new table saw. I used to have an entry level Delta, but it was one of the many things left behind when we moved back from Nova Scotia a few years ago.

Here's what I'm looking for... something that will allow me to do the occasional project, using it a handful of times per year mostly for those DIY projects around the house. There is zero risk of me becoming a contractor any time soon. I am just working on finishing our basement, and will use it for cutting ceiling tiles, mdf shelving, sills for a window and mdf ledge capping. I love the idea of being able to rip full 4X8 sheets, so 24"+ rip capacity is a bonus. That said, for as often as I would need to be able to do it, I could maybe live without. Not married to the idea of something completely portable, but a little lighter/smaller would be better from a storage standpoint. Price is certainly a consideration (so the likes of Bosch and Jet are out of the running). But for the sake of a hundred bucks either way, I might lean a bit more to quality being a more important factor.

Here's a few I am currently considering:

Dewalt DWE7480

Rigid R4513 or 45161

Kobalt KT1015

Skil 3410-02

Mastercraft 55-6742-8

Any and all thoughts welcome!

Unless you upgrade to a contractor's saw, I think you will have trouble accurately ripping a sheet of plywood in half. Best to do as Silver Doctor says and have the lumberyard do the rough cuts for you. Personally I would aim for the Dewalt or Ridgid..

Mike

Ps even with my contractor's saw, I still do my rough cuts with a skilsaw and guide/straight edge. 3/4 ply/MDF is just too heavy..

• Like 1

Dewalt,the rack and pinion fence is by far the better option.Not like the old saws where you had to measure on every cut.

Build yourself a Cross cut jig that runs in the miter slot and the saw comes with a splitter that runs behind the blade for big cuts.Dust port out back so vac hooks on,great saw ,i use mine every day.

Big sheets your best to cut down with a skill saw and straight edge then cut your pieces on the table saw.

Or having side and out feed tables/benches is what i use to cut full sheets.

• Like 1

Dewalt is our bread & butter saw saw at work, light enough to hump around job to job, Teflon top & fence is the best by far.

Not sure on model numbers but have 2 . One is the larger model & the second the smaller & both for being equally as useful.

If your ripping multiple sheets of 4 by 8 not so great but doable with 2 people.

Buy a good used one off kijijji , make sure it turns on , doesn't have a bunch obvious wear & your good for what u need.

The folding stand the bigger one comes with is a bonus.

I'm sure several other name brands are good too but the dewalt fence is awesome & quick to use. We use ours a thousand times a day.

I'm a cabinet maker by trade and and the most usefull tool you can get is this saw guide, use it for ripping + cross cutting sheet goods, routing dadoes and even use it to joint the edges of hardwood lumber on my Bosch table saw. http://www.busybeetools.com/products/straight-edge-clamp-50in-pro-grip.html

I've used most of the saws you've mentioned and what you want is the best fence system with a ton of power. For me the Bosch is by far the best and the Makita a very close second.

https://www.kmstools.com/bosch-10-portable-table-saw-136

Good luck

• Like 1

You'll have to check model numbers on dewalt,the home depo one may be different then say the one you buy at calgary fasteners or the dewalt store.Not sure but i know drills will differ from say HD too a specialty store.

I think any of the saws will do,well I'd stay away from anything CT, riged or skil, if bigger cuts are the norm then go with what has the biggest table.I know the dewalts is small but that makes it easier to get in and out,so for contractors its good.

Like anything else, a good operator can make good square cuts on most any saw.

Thanks for the info fellas. This weekend was spent with the mitre saw going great guns, as I was working on baseboards & casing. Pretty sure that will keep me going for next weekend as well. That means I've yet to decide about a table saw, ans have a little more time to over-research it. Creekside, that Bosch is a fine looking saw, but is a couple bills beyond what I was hoping to spend; the smaller Bosch is <$400 right now at Lowes, and includes a free stand, so it is suddenly in the running.

Last year I bought a dewalt dw 745. I thought that this was a good saw for me, as I'm not a pro, but still wanted a capable saw for projects at home. The rack and pinion fence is great but can only rip up to 20". The drawback to the saw is that the arbor isn't large enough to allow it to use a dado stack. I have a router table that I can use, however I really wish a dado stack was an option. You had to go up to the next level to get one that supports this and looking back I kick myself a bit. The other drawback is there isn't a really good place to clamp a feather board on the table surface and you cant use the magnetic ones due to the aluminum base. All things to think about. I thought I just needed a basic saw, but it doesn't take long for your eye to wander.

I paid $260 through lowes online when they were having one of their web only sales, our dollar didn't suck and everything was 15% off;)

$400 for a Bosch sounds really good, especially if it includes a stand. I think that dewalt wants over $100 bucks for a basic scissor stand thats usually not included.

No dado capability on either of the Dewalts, but Bosch can do up to 1/2" dado blade from what I've read online. Not sure how often I would ever use that, and I do have a decent router if need be. You are also bang on about the stand being $100+ for the Dewalts, but their fence system is just plain awesome. The Bosch has only an 18" rip capacity, and a couple of other minor annoyances... if not for that I likely would have happily bought it already.

Typically if your gonna play with dados you use a small hand held router and a straight edge,much quicker and your not changing blades in the saw all the time.

Pretty sure i can get a dado in my dewalt might only be 1/2" ill check tomorrow.

If dado's and 5 piece doors are in the futer then do it right and get the cast iron one with a big ass motor.oh and new wiring in the garage cause you'll need a 220V dust collector also:)

Probably not going to be building any doors any time soon. But maybe some small projects (like a new patrol box for our Scout troop) where a dado might come in handy. From their website, the Dewalt 745 and 7480 are not dado compatible (arbor too short). Like you said, the router is probably a better way to go with that anyway. I'd love to transform the garage into a workshop, but absolutely certain my wife wouldn't agree to parking outside in the winter. So my decision today will be if I want the Bosch w/free stand or not (sale ends today).

OK, I lied. Today is the last day of the sale on the Bosch. What Dewalt store are you referring to Tungsten? Something in Calgary, or online? The place creekside linked too seems to have pretty competitive prices as well, though for me that probably means a trip up to the big city. I do need a few other things too (speakers for home theatre, new tying vise) so might not be the worst thing in the world to hit Calgary.