Fly Fusion Forums

Having Fun At The Expo

Would like to thank all our members here who participated and gave of their time to teach fly tying. Thank you all! I am hoping we can get a few more of you involved next year to pass on some good will and have fun in this way. Life can be rewarding by giving a bit, and this is a worthwhile effort. The show itself was great and very enjoyable. Lots of great speakers, cool products and local shops. “Tyers Row” had extremely talented people that where free with their advice, and where else can you pick out a top brand fly rod and cast it at the same time getting professional advice about how to use the product. . Thanks also to the Fish and Game members who where fielding questions and with their display. What a great way to break the winter doldrums and to be surrounded by fly fisherman.

As Murray said we taught over 300 kids and adults how to tie their first fly, a simple Wholly Bugger. A big vote of thanks also goes out to Superfly who donates great colorful materials each year and all the other sponsors involved who donate time and equipment.

If you can wind thread around a hook shank you can teach kids. I have to say every time I get involved its rather selfish because of what I get out of it. These kids are amazing. The intensity of focus really blows me away. Its like when superman uses his x-ray vision. When you get a little girl or boy that stares intently at what they are doing in that way it is really something. No whining or complaints just marvel at each step in the process. Some are naturals some stumble along but every single one wants to be there and wants to learn. The youngest we had tie was a four year old that did well. The other thing is the beaming parents and the child walked away from the bench clutching their hand made prize walking on a cloud. I had several come to me, who I had taught that where now competent tiers. We had several instances of a kid tying and then a parent sitting down and saying, “teach me”. Something a family can do together.

We also had a adults, men and woman that wanted to experience tying. It was neat seeing the light bulb go off and a mind suddenly say: “so that’s how its done”. Some really stood out. I taught one lady of a spry 85 years who wanted to use her husbands vice who had passed on. A very shy young lady who stated, “This is the first time I ever made something by myself”. A fly fisherman who loved to fish but was curious about adding tying to his love of the sport. Plus a lady who didn’t fish but wanted to explore the art.

We where so busy Saturday that I didn’t get a chance to grab a bite to eat, but it was worth it. Just talking to such a wide variety of people who all value not only our sport but also all the little things that make it up all in the same place is special.

Keep well all

Lornce

Didn’t get a chance to take to many pictures especially the line-ups’s

DSC_0097%201_zpstm1ccvna.jpg

DSC_0105_zpsg5mjxr4y.jpg

DSC_0080_zpszvu8c15i.jpg

DSC_0079_zps5c0lkrgs.jpg

DSC_0076_zpscdktelhl.jpg

DSC_0077_zpspmdukwme.jpg

DSC_0070_zps008cccwi.jpgDSC_0107_zpseplyqaxh.jpg

• Like 9