Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2016 Edition

ggp

I posted this one a couple of years ago. It is a very simple tie.

12 or 14 or 16 nymph hook

Black or orange glass bead

Two strands of pearl crystal flash or similar for the tail extending rearward about the hook gape width

Next, tie on 1/8 inch midge flex, Summer Duck colour works best. This is the shell back to be stretched forward over the body material later.

Tie in four strands of peacock herl at the shell back tie in point, wrap the herl around the tieing thread and wrap the herl forward to the bead head. Tie off the herl and remove the excess.

Tie in black biot legs on each side, extending back to the end of the tail.

Pull the midge flex forward and tie off and trim.

The last step is to apply a small bead of Clear Cure Goo. Over the shell back and thread wraps. Activate the clear cure goo with a UV light.

• Like 2

Might anyone have an EASY Boatmen pattern that they don't mind sharing with an entry level tier?

My tying skill set has mastered the wire worm so far and about to graduate to the Wooly Bugger......

One of my first ties for boatman,was a Brian Chan fly.12-16 SCUD HOOK ,Blk.thread,peacock herl wrapped around the thread[reinforces the herl],then tieing it in above the barb,1/4" wide stripped of piece of feather from a pheasant tail feather.Wind the herl forward,fold over as a back, the pheasant.Tie of at the eye,with a large head[blk.thread].A large sewing needle,with rubber leg material.thread needle with rubber material,thru the peacock ,about 1/2 way down the fly.Small dap of glue on the needle,as you pass thru the peacock ,it will help cement legs in place.Or just use goose biots tied behind the head 1 on each side for legs..I'm sure Brian has a sxs of this on 1 of his many videos..When the fish are feeding heavily on bkswimmers,a prince nymph works very good also..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find utc70 far preferable to 8/0 for chronies. Just remember less is more. Dont make a wrap you dont have to make and use fine wire. Anything bigger than sm is no good. Remember that when you see ties on youtube that they are often tying on big hooks for bombers and building taper is not really neccessary on hooks sizes smaller than 10. Also try using rib material that even skinnier than wire. Davie macphail ties one thats literally like 10 wraps of thread on a hook. If you dont think that will catch fish just go down to the bow and see how many guys fish a red gamagatzu hook for a bloodworm.

Birddog;Those will work.x2 on the utc70 thread in various colors.I don't see a chironomid larva.Here is a recipe for my best producer.It is Brian Chan's,1st fly that he ties on at a new lake.He calls it a BCW.[brian Chan Wiggler] I like a Hanak jig hook,sz10 or 12 red bead..Small/fine red wire counter wrap.Body & tail are all from a burgundy or red marabou feather.Not the w/bugger stuff.The stuff with long fine fibers.1 pc of red crystal flash.Bead 3/32 as close to the eye as possible.Can.Llama sells slotted beads[i use them].Thread base,tie on your tail [sparse],from behind the bead to the hook pt.Attach the red wire,same as the tail,eye to bend.I want the fly on the btm.& don't want the wind to drag it of the btm,when it's under the smallest indicator eye can see.Tear some fibers from the shank of the feather[long].Tie in by the tips,give them a few twists.So the fibers radiate outwards.Wrap up the shank,side xside.Rib with the wire segmented like a chironomid.Fish it on or near the btm..Tight lines & sinking corkies

If you love the red/claret, try it in purple. Did a lot of of chironomid larvae fishing this season on stillwaters, with both red and purple variants on the same rig. Didn't seem to matter if the purple was on the point or up top, it outfished the red by about 3:1 or more.

• Like 1

If you love the red/claret, try it in purple. Did a lot of of chironomid larvae fishing this season on stillwaters, with both red and purple variants on the same rig. Didn't seem to matter if the purple was on the point or up top, it outfished the red by about 3:1 or more.

Never tried purple..So are you using purple wire & purple flash ? thanks brian