Fly Fusion Forums

Help With Vintage Rod Identification - Calgary Company

Hi everyone!

I recently got a few vintage fiberglass rods off someone, including this 9 foot 8w. The butt of the rod says "M_____ Lite Tackle Co. Ltd. Calgary Alta" Below it, it says "Custom Built Rods", and states "Neo Cane", with "Model N-5".

Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the company that must have existed in Calgary in the past, but is no longer around?

Thanks,

Jason

post-7828-0-43105600-1449980766_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The earlier Fenwick/Grizzly blanks sold to custom rod builders and the public were all yellow whereas the Fenwick factory built rods were fenwick brown. Later on all the blanks sold were brown. -

Could I see a picture of the ferrules please?

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Sorry! I was initially looking for the possible name of the company that built it, not expecting that people would be able to find out the actual blank manufacturer from this little of info. I am very impressed with the knowledge thus far!

Here are a couple additional pictures for people that might be of help.

post-7828-0-70187900-1450030946_thumb.jpg

post-7828-0-74525600-1450030957_thumb.jpg

Judging by the Featherlight ferrules that's a very early Fenwick blank. Can't help you with the Calgary maker but you can learn more about fenwicks over on fiberglassflyrodders.com. Quite a group of Fenwick fanatics over there, I'm more of a Phillipson glass man myself.

Taco

The Featherlight ferrules were supplied on the rod blank I purchased. The rod caught several Browns in the Crowsnest just above the Oldman confluence in 1969. That section of the Crow has been lost to potatoe chip greed. By the way, that gift to the spud farmers cost the Albertian taxpayers $900,000,000 + a whole bunch of the Oldman, Castle and Crowsnest rivers. A wise investment in Alberta's future.

Don

• Like 3