Fly Fusion Forums

White Water Raft For Still Water?

danhunt

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a white water raft with a rowing frame that they have used on still water? I've been thinking about a boat that could do double duty on the river and lakes and I got to thinking that if a person could fab up a motor mount for a rowing frame one of these rafts just might fit the bill. I know the boat won't plane, it won't have a keel so it won't track especially well, and I'm thinking it might be a bit hard to control in the wind ie. staying on an anchor. Just wondering if anyone has tried it?

Well, we have used a zodiac with rowing frame on lakes many times, in my opinion it is not optimal but it does work. It is a bit hard to control in wind and goes through trolling motor batteries fast if fishing electric only areas. I find they are a bit lame on the slower southern Alberta river's if it's howling as well, just my experience with sore arms. With a gas motor, it does works pretty good and can cover ground relatively fast, it is a bit slow to react steering wise, and did I mention it doesn't like wind too much.... I would not advise strongly against it or anything, but I would say its not the most comfortable/ effective lake option. If you prefer that option for moving water and just hit the lakes from time to time it's probably a good line of thinking though.

Im in the process of building a rowing frame for my zodiac after many hours and planning I came up with a design so I hope it works.Im doing two seats with casting bar and the casting bar can be removed and another seat added.I also have a gas and a electric motor so this is a good thread to maybe get some ideas.Im sure it will work.Older zodiacs are heavier than the newer ones so it should eliminate the wind problem.I could see wind being a problem with a regular inflatable.

I use a Zodiac on both the Bow River as well as still water. As mentioned above, the wind does come in to play on occasion. I do not have a rowing frame but have a couple of swivel seats that sit a little higher than the tubes. I have used an electric motor on mine and it does a passable job but will wear down your battery. My favorite motor is a 2 1/2 horse outboard. I find with the little extra power, it is easier to control in the wind. One big bonus is that you can deflate the boat and put it in your trunk. The down side is that Zodiacs are pricey. If you were serious and want to try it out, give me a shout.

I fish quite a bit in strong winds. A couple of buddies have pontoon boats that have retired/sold them due the difficulties associated with the wind and now exclusively use their Fish Cat 4 V-tubes. I would imagine a raft would be even worse in the wind. So I guess it just depends on where you want to fish and how often/strong the wind blows on average.

I've used my Aire raft a few times on lakes in a pinch but have only just rowed, never tried a trolling motor. I honestly can't recommend a raft for stillwaters, in fact I can't think of anything that would be worse. It's really not a fun experience at all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, everyone! Murray, are you drifting with your zodiac or are you using it more like a jet?

Dan, I use it I two ways, drifting for sure, and sometimes just like a taxi to get me downstream. I have tried an outboard to get me back upstream with limited success, there are too many shallow sections to rely on that. A jet outboard would be required and then weight and size of the jet would have to be taken into consideration. By the way, the zodiac has a blow up keel so under power it tracks very well.

The real benefit I eye with the Zodiac is the fact that I can simply deflate it at the end of the day and transport it in the back of my truck or car. It takes about 1/2 hour to unload, set up at both ends of the day though.

Dan, I use it I two ways, drifting for sure, and sometimes just like a taxi to get me downstream. I have tried an outboard to get me back upstream with limited success, there are too many shallow sections to rely on that. A jet outboard would be required and then weight and size of the jet would have to be taken into consideration. By the way, the zodiac has a blow up keel so under power it tracks very well. The real benefit I eye with the Zodiac is the fact that I can simply deflate it at the end of the day and transport it in the back of my truck or car. It takes about 1/2 hour to unload, set up at both ends of the day though.

Thanks, Murry. The portability of inflatibles is a definate consideration, and I've always been impressed with how stable they are. Thats what got me thinking along the lines of a raft in the first place, I have a couple of little ones that are hopefully going to be coming with me in a few years and I thought it might be a more kid friendly way to go.

If you can weld or or know a welder it's pretty easy to build a rowing frame for your zodiac as well. I'm just about complete and I'm at about 150 in total for mine at the very most I used electrical conduit as my main frame and there were about 6$ a peice and I bought two seats with swivels they were about 80 bucks for two just watch sales at bass pro and the casting bar was a little more money as its made out of aluminum.I can send you pics when I'm done and get a idea if that's something your interested in I call it the poor mans drift boat lol but it will do until this economy picks back up.Im a welder in the tanker industryl lol.If you do want to build one once you get a boat pm me I'll give you a hand or I can build one for you.

If you can weld or or know a welder it's pretty easy to build a rowing frame for your zodiac as well. I'm just about complete and I'm at about 150 in total for mine at the very most I used electrical conduit as my main frame and there were about 6$ a peice and I bought two seats with swivels they were about 80 bucks for two just watch sales at bass pro and the casting bar was a little more money as its made out of aluminum.I can send you pics when I'm done and get a idea if that's something your interested in I call it the poor mans drift boat lol but it will do until this economy picks back up.Im a welder in the tanker industryl lol.If you do want to build one once you get a boat pm me I'll give you a hand or I can build one for you.

That rowing frame sounds very interesting. I would greatly appreciate a picture when you get finished. Send me a note when your done, maybe we can get together for a coffee and chat.

Thanks, Murry. The portability of inflatibles is a definate consideration, and I've always been impressed with how stable they are. Thats what got me thinking along the lines of a raft in the first place, I have a couple of little ones that are hopefully going to be coming with me in a few years and I thought it might be a more kid friendly way to go.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned, in my opinion, the Zodiac is the safest boat on the water. Two adult men can stand on one side of the boat and not flip it over. I also intend to take my Grand Children in it.

That rowing frame sounds very interesting. I would greatly appreciate a picture when you get finished. Send me a note when your done, maybe we can get together for a coffee and chat.

No problem I'll give you a pm when I'm done just working on final angles for the rowing part.if you look on Kijji there's a zodiac with a rowing frame my designs a lot different but pretty close to the same I have a lots of extra zodiac material to mount the frame on as well if decide to build one.I should be done in the new year I'll pm you.O think I'm just going to rock guard the whole frame as well the put aluminum checker where ever possible to class it up.Its a 1978 zodiac believe it or not