Fly Fusion Forums

Doing More With Less

Now I'm only a few years into my fly fishing odyssey, but this year I tried something different....I drastically dumbed down my fly selection.

The main staples in my box this year were:

Pheasant Tail (sz. 14, 16, 18)

Hare's Ear (sz. 14, 16, 18)

Dirty Worm (of course)

Maribou leeches (black, olive, brown)

Stimulators

Parachute Adams

Hoppers

I had my most productive season fishing these 7 patterns. I stopped obsessing over matching the hatch and just focused on presentation. Knowing which flies to use at which time can be very intimidating, especially for a beginner. Patterns that can imitate a number of different bugs are the ticket to better fishing in my eyes. At the end of the day it's all about getting the fly to where the fish are!

• Like 2

I usually carry to many flies, I will be sorting out this year, but I still carry a lot of patterns in variations of Dry, Emerger, Wet & Streamers. There have been times streamside where I have needed to go through many patterns to finally hit on what a targeted trout where feeding on. I guess it depends on where you fish, Streams lakes etc. I tend to have more specialized boxes for the Bow say and then others for smaller streams. Mind you I a always experimenting with flies, which I find personally satisfying. I have also gone out with 3 or 4 flies, I guess it just depends on you mood and what you want to do. Its all good and fun.

• Like 1

Now I'm only a few years into my fly fishing odyssey, but this year I tried something different....I drastically dumbed down my fly selection.

The main staples in my box this year were:

Pheasant Tail (sz. 14, 16, 18)

Hare's Ear (sz. 14, 16, 18)

Dirty Worm (of course)

Maribou leeches (black, olive, brown)

Stimulators

Parachute Adams

Hoppers

I had my most productive season fishing these 7 patterns. I stopped obsessing over matching the hatch and just focused on presentation. Knowing which flies to use at which time can be very intimidating, especially for a beginner. Patterns that can imitate a number of different bugs are the ticket to better fishing in my eyes. At the end of the day it's all about getting the fly to where the fish are!

No stonefly nymphs or Clousers? :D I tried this once before and while you can get away with a smaller number of nymph patterns I've found it a lot more difficult to do with dries on the Bow, especially if they're only keyed on emergers or spent wings.

No stonefly nymphs or Clousers? :D I tried this once before and while you can get away with a smaller number of nymph patterns I've found it a lot more difficult to do with dries on the Bow, especially if they're only keyed on emergers or spent wings.

I'll use stonefly nymphs for about 2 months out of the year. That's probably enough for me to make them my 8th pattern on the list.

Marc, just throw a chubby at them..if they don't eat it dead drift, skate it. If they don't eat it, then throw a large streamer...if they don't eat that, they're gonna have left anyway!

Pretty well the way I fished all summer on the Bow. Kept me very light! Plus keeps all those pesky little 16" off the line

Marc, just throw a chubby at them..if they don't eat it dead drift, skate it. If they don't eat it, then throw a large streamer...if they don't eat that, they're gonna have left anyway!

Pretty well the way I fished all summer on the Bow. Kept me very light! Plus keeps all those pesky little 16" off the line

I was talking stonefly nymphs not dries. I don't fish nymphs a whole lot but I know lots of people use those jimmy legs almost year round and get fish on it. I was stirring the pot more than anything with that suggestion. Now for streamers, a simple leech is good, but I think you also need to have at least one baitfish type pattern like a Clouser or sculpin (BRB) in there.

I was talking stonefly nymphs not dries. I don't fish nymphs a whole lot but I know lots of people use those jimmy legs almost year round and get fish on it. I was stirring the pot more than anything with that suggestion. Now for streamers, a simple leech is good, but I think you also need to have at least one baitfish type pattern like a Clouser or sculpin (BRB) in there.

We actually alter our nymph rigs specifically for stone fly season. Typically we have our bigger fly on the bottom. In May-June-July we keep the stone on top with the nymph at the end and a splitty or two above the stone. This keeps the stone tight to the bottom and has the nymph slightly suspended. Works really well.

I would agree, you can be minimalistic, but since I travel a lot to Montana & I love to tie, & like SilverDoctor I like to experiment, so I have a lot of flies, old tried & true classics a well as newly invented patterns & patterns I have picked up in other places.

I have had great luck with flies that I have brought back from other places & new designs, which are now a must have in my boxes when I go out which not any have been mentioned.

The trick for me what to try based on the season in order to lighten my load. Like now, maybe streamers, midges, & nymphs, but no big dries.

• Like 1

We actually alter our nymph rigs specifically for stone fly season. Typically we have our bigger fly on the bottom. In May-June-July we keep the stone on top with the nymph at the end and a splitty or two above the stone. This keeps the stone tight to the bottom and has the nymph slightly suspended. Works really well.

Good idea! Thanks for sharing.

Im basically a minimalist by nature it seems. I tend to live it even in my day to day life. So i particularly enjoy topics related to minimalism in flyfishing.

I have 5 patterns i use only and other than size and colour theres no change to that. I prefer solitary fishing so i cant judge by how many fish others are catching, but i seem to catch plenty of fish at least to suit me. I can carry everything i need for a days fishing in one average sized waist pack. In fact i carry pretty much all i got in that pack.

I enjoy reading about others who are attempting to cut down. Good subject for me at least.

I have nothing against nor am i knocking those who like to carry 3-4 boxes full just not my style is all.

I think I have mentioned it on this Board before, but one of the biggest benefits of simplifying, I saw, was it got me back into tying. Last year about this time I decided to focus on a few patterns in the next season. I also sloughed off a couple lifetimes of materials at the same time. I spent more hours at the desk last winter than I had in the several previous.

I think I was just overwhelmed by the endless possibilities of patterns, variations, material subsitutes, etc. I had stopped enjoying tying and was only at the desk when I needed something specifically.