Fly Fusion Forums

Backcountry Lakes

FlyTrapper

I guided a group up to Elbow Lake a few weeks ago for a 3 day backpacking trip and just to let you know at that time there was 4" of snow on the ground. It might have melted by now but expect some chilly temps and therefore sluggish fish. As Jared suggested, size 10 & 12 olive buggers (with a sink tip should produce) and maybe a few small white coloured streamers for the Brookies. Not sure you will get any top water action, but you can try.

If you require any additional info, I'd be happy to help.

Have fun!

P

I'm going to Elbow and Tombstone lakes this weekend with my dad for a backcountry trip. I am not familiar with lake fishing, let alone alpine lakes. Just wondering if someone could recommend a couple flies that I should bring along. Thank you guys!

I'm not sure about those lakes in particular but I would say make sure you are prepared bear wise. We were up high last week and ran into a handful of different grizzlies, they seem to be a bit more aggressive/ more visible than normal this year. Just make sure you make lots of noise and take adequate precautions. Have fun! We are heading into some mountain lakes next week if all goes well, last year little leaches and back-swimmers were key in early October.