Fly Fusion Forums

Frustrated With Cheap Thread

Freebs

Good Day FFC.

The thread I've been buying seems to fall apart or unwind while I'm threading it through the end of the bobbin. I've tried Ultra-thread and it frays way too easily. I find this to be the most frustrating part of fly-tying. Can someone recommend some brands that are a better than the ones that come in the kits (6/0). Also what is the difference between 8/0 and 6/0. I really can't see a difference between them. I have only been tying for a few years and thought it was about time to ask the pros. Thanks

Keith

UTC is my personal favorite. 70 for trout, 140 for streamers and steelhead. If it's fraying, time for a new bobbin. I've had my same ceramic bobbin for ~15 years, and don't fray thread.

6/0 is bigger than 8/0. Goes back to when they used to classify threads by number of 0's (or something like that). 3/0 is bigger then 6/0.

• Like 1

I am a big fan of GSP threads. Gel spun poly.

I use the 60 and 100 denier.

It has issues though. without the norvice, it is tough to dub, and you need a sharp blade ( on your scissors) to cut it. hold under tension and slice with the blade - just a normal cut doesnt.

Tough to break.

denier measurement is way easier to understand.

• Like 1

What's up on this thread. You may have a small barb that cuts your thread in side the straw part! Use e-fine sand paper maybe try that ?I had a bure in for years and a quick sand walla...

Or I'd like to say you members are like family with this FFC show.

Sayin that .and glad we all get a break off the water too. Now that's it . Fishthem fish in your Dreams .

• 2 weeks later...