Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Vice Recomendations

Spurly

Right now I am just using a cheapo vice, and am looking to upgrade, so looking for recomendations.

Some people have mentioned Nor-vice but $300 U.S. Is more than I want to spend on a vice, Also not real sure what kind of options, or upgrades I need. More or less just looking for something good, without breaking the bank, but also something I don't have to keep upgrading.

Thanx in advance.

Spurly

I would take a look at the Anvil Atlas. It has a very solid base and overall construction and holds a wide variety of hook sizes. I think I got mine at Country Pleasures. It is rotary, but nothing fancy. Costs around $150

I'm happy with my intermediate level Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose vise. Should come in under $200 CDN. SilverDoctor makes a great point that you may want to grab one quickly before the Canadian dollars' slump (since interest rates were lowered by BOC in July) gets factored into new inventory and prices shoot up further. Was at Fish Tales last week and they also had several vises, but I did not look at prices; some of them are set up by the end of the wooden fly bins and you could try them out.

Good info. Im in the market for a new one as well. Can someone give me the name of a vice that holds the hook. Ive had three in total and not one of them holds a hook solidly in place. My current vice is a dynaking I've also got a renzetti and an anvil. doesnt matter what hook I use, it moves in the vice. After years of tying I just assumed all vices where like this to a point.

Good advice about the Canadian Dollar we are going to see a jump in prices unless its existing stock. A lot of guys love the peak. Good price point and hook holding. Tied on one at one of my fly tying demos in BC. Anvil as stated above and Renzetti Traveler is a also a good bet. If I was to look at only one though for a moderate price it would be a standard Regal for hook holding power (in that price range). Vices really become a personal thing and an extension of you. What one guy loves and is comfortable with another hates. Really take time to look at what you are buying.

On the other hand when I started tying both my Dad and Grampa tied "in hand" and that's how I learned but that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

If a rotary vise isn't necessary and you don't want to spend a lot I got a good life hack for you. Back in December I was wanting a new vise. I was learning how to spin deer hair at the time and had a problem with my rotary vise not holding the hook good enough so I could really reef on it. What I ended up doing was taking a pair of small needle nose vise grips and grinding down the tip a bit so it would provide better access to smaller hooks when tying. Next I welded a piece of 1/2" round bar to the vise grips and for a base I welded it to a piece of 6"x6"x3/8" flat bar. I call it the redneck vise. It holds hooks great to the point you will bend a hook before it comes unseated one bit. The flat part at the end of the jaws works great for small hooks and the grooves parts of the jaws work great for larger hooks. If you want to save a cpl bucks use mastercraft instead. Just don't cheap out and use princess auto garbage. If anyone wants to see it I can post pics later or pm me

• Like 2