Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Casting

Cutbow16

Anyone have any tips in terms of casting and getting used to casting heavier weight lines (7 and 8 weight lines etc.) with faster rods? For me, it is a bit of a learning curve changing from a 4 or a 5 weight medium-fast rod to a faster 8 weight. I also find that sometimes my fly is hitting the rod tip on the forward cast as well (tailing loop I'm assuming). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Just a thought, I'm not a master caster but, we all develop habits. Tailing loops can be caused by the tip of the rod dipping under the Straight Line Path of your cast, you could be starting your forward cast to early before the line straightens out. It can also be the cause of too large a casting arch. Try giving it a bit more time and pause before the forward cast. Lawn casting can help. Also try false casting with a rod length of line and slowly increase the amount of line out. Keep it easy and smooth and keep your rod butt in a straight line When I get a new rod and line combo I like to actually cast with my eyes closed at one point to "feel" the sweet spot when the line straightens out.

Not sure if this helps

• Like 3

cast on the grass and find the sweet spot where you get the best load on the rod for the amount of line you have out. Then take a colored sharpie and mark your line. Don't cast past this mark from this mark double haul to get your line speed up and then work on shooting your line.

• Like 1

Almost can promise you're overpowering the rod, as you feel it being a lot heavier than a 4 or 5 weight. Uneven power application will cause tailing loops, which is why you're hitting the rod tip. If you can't double haul, figure that out. Will change your casting regime entirely.

• Like 2

I find that with heavier line lengths that, particularly on the back cast, I need to stop the rod with a sharper "snap" at the top. This allows the rod to do more of the work and deliver the line back for a good load. Also, when you're practicing, watch your line and rod as you back cast. Make sure you watch the line and loop roll, and get used to the feel of the load. Once you see the line roll, out, progress forward and again, stopping with a sharper "snap" when you stop.

Also, try to avoid using too much line. I find that when I have my 7wt out, I try to false cast with too much line out. Only keep out as much as you can handle, for me its usually the shooting head of the line, most lines now and days are mutli coloured, so you can see where the shooting head stops and the running line starts. I find that my 7wt shoots line like crazy, with minimal effort, so once you get used to hauling, you can fire out all the line you need.

Don't get too concerned with bombing out 90' of line. You will rarely ever been in a situation where you will need to shoot that much line.

Not a pro caster either, trust me. This is just what works for me.

Don't forget, practice makes better. Because perfect is un-achievable.

• Like 1

I'd guess it is creep. Your hand is creeping forward after the back cast, so when you forward cast you don't have enough room and compensate by overpowering, creating a tailing loop. It is a common problem, and one of my casting pitfalls.

If you can swing the cost, get some professional instruction. They can ID problems and help you set up a practice routine. It is a good idea for everyone to get some instruction at least every couple of years. You'll be surprised how inexpensive it is as well. About the fuel bill for a big day trip fishing.

• Like 1

Almost can promise you're overpowering the rod, as you feel it being a lot heavier than a 4 or 5 weight. Uneven power application will cause tailing loops, which is why you're hitting the rod tip. If you can't double haul, figure that out. Will change your casting regime entirely.

x2

The double haul is a critical tool and it really allows the caster to generate the line speed to get the most out of your faster action rods. Once learned and practiced, you will use it all the time, even on your lighter rods.

The Orvis videos on the double haul are excellent.