Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone With Jet Boat Help

No *hit, not like its a bunch of yahoos in their 5$ walmart dingy dragging a cooler of beer! So what happens if you call 911? they come and get you? you get hit with a huge bill? sunk boat people in the water would seem like an emergency to me. Getting yourself out and asking for help should be a good enough reason for them to come?

Don't post on here anymore but can't resist this comment. You think your entitled to better treatment cause your a yahoo who sunk a 6-12K driftboat? See CFD conduct a swift water rescue with the Tomkat a few months ago? They gave a rats ass to the $5 dingy but rescued the damsel in distress. Same would have been done with you guys.

• Like 1

the Calgary FD should be taking opportunities like this to practice and hone their skills on the water as much as they can since there is so much use of the river over the summer. not just pick and choose what they want to spend their resources on.

hey biggyJ, thanks so much for the offer, we will take you up on it, Tikka will be msging you shortly

• Like 1

No *hit, not like its a bunch of yahoos in their 5$ walmart dingy dragging a cooler of beer! So what happens if you call 911? they come and get you? you get hit with a huge bill? sunk boat people in the water would seem like an emergency to me. Getting yourself out and asking for help should be a good enough reason for them to come?

Don't post on here anymore but can't resist this comment. You think your entitled to better treatment cause your a yahoo who sunk a 6-12K driftboat? See CFD conduct a swift water rescue with the Tomkat a few months ago? They gave a rats ass to the $5 dingy but rescued the damsel in distress. Same would have been done with you guys.

I actually dont think Im entitled to anything, I was just asking the questions because i don't know. Sorry, walmart dingy guy with a cooler of beer seems avoidable and not smart to begin with.

• Like 1

Thanks.

We have a company drift boat that only I know how to row. Had a shop hand row one day as I was teaching him (so that I could fish) and we almost went sideways into a bridge pillar.

Scary stuff. I only asked so that I could avoid doing this or tell a story to someone whom is learning to row.

Glad you guys came out unscathed.

Well when you hit a rock sideways like that you need to act fast. The tendency is for people to lean away from the rock causing the boat to flip or get swamped faster. You need to use human weight as ballast, counteracting the boats tendency to roll and flip.This takes quick and determined action, What most experienced boatman do is continue using the upstream oar to make levering sweeps, trying to pry and spin the boat off the boulder before it flips or swamps. This is where human ballast comes in. You need to lean into the rock, using human weight as ballast in fighting the boats tendency to be pushed under.

If you own a drift boat you owe it to yourself and your passengers to educate yourself. Your passengers and whoever you get to row needs to know these things before you get on the river. If i could suggest a few great books by Neale Streeks called Float-Fishing Strategies and Drift Boat Fly Fishing (A river guide's sage advice).

• Like 2

no actual pictures of how the recovery went down, kinda had to see it to understand. basically what happened was tungsten was on his boat with murray, they used a stick to reach the bow line that was already there and tied it to murrays mountain climbing rope. from there they brought the line to shore where Tikkam and I were and they jumped on shore and all of us pulled it with our bare hand out. at least that's what I remember lol

• Like 2

I called Strathmore FD this AM and let them know not to waste their time because we pulled it out yesterday. I think it would be good to set up a group of guys from FFC who are willing to help with drift boats and jet boats, kinda like a search and rescue. Im willing to help anyone who has issues as well on the water. ill be there in a flash for whatever I could help with, if anyone needs anything don't be afraid to ask.

Im with you. I dont have a boat but, i am willing to help out in almost any situation. Dont hesitate to ask.