Fly Fusion Forums

What Hooks And Why?

Stonefly07

I've used both and I don't see a significant difference. I'd be pretty sure that others have minimal differences. I do know though that some are sharper than others. I sharpen my hooks anyway so this isn't really a concern for me.

I moslty choose hooks based on the shape. Any new hooks are pretty good quality. Partridge and Mustad Signatures are the top quality I use. I use a lot of the Eagle River Hooks from Superfly as well. They have a better price than the similar Tiemco and the quality is the same. I also use a lot of the regular mustad hooks, but stay away fro the older mustads because I find them to be a poorer quality. These would be anything older than 10 years. most hooks now adays are chemically sharpened, so that's not much of an issue for me.

thanks for the responses. Good to hear. just wondering why I can purchase daiichi for two dollars more and half the the quantity of mustad. do most of you guys sharpen your hooks? do you find that the hooks tend to bend on you due to a fish or a some other object they've become stuck on? thanks again.

I don't sharpen my hooks. If the get snagged and bend out, they get thrown into the trash. I find I only do this with the thin wire dries. I keep my flies simple for the most part, so it isn't a big loss. It just means I get to tie more. :) I haven't had a fish bend out a hook, it's usually a log, tree fish or stone fish that do it.

Guest bigbadbrent

I'm 100% on Eagle Claw pupa's in all sizes for any nymph, doesnt matter if its pupa or not, i just like the hook better, has a bigger gape for the hookset, and flies look better tied on them (i'd say)

and cheaper, and just as reliable as mustad

I started using Partridge, recently. Awesome hooks. The have great strength and will not bend out. Even the lighter wire scud hooks will last though a bunch of big fish.

Otherwise, I use Diiachi or Tiemco. Mustads are much to brittle for anything under #12.

I sure like the Gamakatsu hooks for small nymphs and midges. They are as sharp as a hook can get. Kind of hard to find in various sizes even here in Japan. Most shops will carry only a size or two.

I have to admit that I usually forget which brand of hook I used for which flies I used! I have so many different kinds of hooks. Almost all of my smaller hooks are Gamakatsu, so I remember them well and can attest to their quality.

I've used Mustad ever since I started tying over 30 years ago. I've had very few problems with them and prefer them to Dairikis for sure. I find the dairikis very brittle and prone to breaking, a problem I've never had with Mustad, except of course on the old rock backcast. You definitely have to sharpen the Mustads for nymphing but hey when you like a hook!!!!!! I've used Daichi a bit and they are good but I've had quite a few bend open with fish on. Interesting how people have different experiences with the same brand of hook.

Mostly mustad here but moving over slowly to Daiichi anf Partridge for the most part. Used up a few packs of Kamassan and not to impressed with them. Eagle Claws I think is what I have been using with my tube flies and I am liking them as well.

The have a website. Togen's Fly Shop Their prices seem reasonable even with shipping I am thinking about ordering one of their combo packs. not sure if they sell in Calgary or not.

Yes I noticed their site also and have thought of buying a combo pack. Let me know if you are going to give em a try I'll join you and we'll save a bit on shipping.