Fly Fusion Forums

Best Local Shops For Beginner Info And Gear?

A buddy and I are looking to take up the sport. I've got most of my gear from years ago but he needs everything.

Aside from gear it would be nice to get some advice - be it regarding local waters, patterns, or anything.

I see there are a few shops off Macleod in the South end near Anderson. Any one or two that people recommend for a couple of newbies?

Thanks!

A bit late but I too would say Fishtales, it is where I buy all my gear. I know that when I took my dad in to get a full setup, rod, reel, waders etc that Wendy(I believe) spent an hour or so helping him out and was spot on with all her recommendations. He loves the gear and has definitely been getting out a pile.

You mean Nancy!!

A bit late but I too would say Fishtales, it is where I buy all my gear. I know that when I took my dad in to get a full setup, rod, reel, waders etc that Wendy(I believe) spent an hour or so helping him out and was spot on with all her recommendations. He loves the gear and has definitely been getting out a pile.
  • Like 1

Doesn't hurt to ask for advice or suggestions here...lot's of "self appointed experts" eager to help you!! Haha!!

Seriously, some good advice can be found from the members of this forum

Doesn't hurt to ask for advice or suggestions here...lot's of "self appointed experts" eager to help you!! Haha!!

Seriously, some good advice can be found from the members of this forum

I'll definitely be asking for advice and suggestions here. Once we have some options for my buddy I'll probably fire off some questions. That said, he's more of a "who cares what it costs" guy and will likely just pull the trigger on whatever they recommend at the shop :)

I'll definitely be asking for advice and suggestions here. Once we have some options for my buddy I'll probably fire off some questions. That said, he's more of a "who cares what it costs" guy and will likely just pull the trigger on whatever they recommend at the shop :)

Well,in that case,to catch a trout you MUST HAVE a quiver full of Sage and Hardy flyrods from 2-7wt w/matching Hardy reels,preferably limited edition Bougles and or Perfects,Simms G5 waders,400 dozen flies covering every size and color spectrum of nymphs,emergers and duns of caddis,mays,and stones sz8-24,a custom made cedar ghost net,pontoon boat for remote lakes and streams,Clackacraft jet for the Bow,16 spools of tippet material from 0x-7x both mono and flouro,$150 collapsible wading staff,and if you don't have already,a $90K 1 tonne 3500 series deisel pickup w/8" lift and 20" rims,preferably GMC/Chev but Dodge will do in a pinch,to get to where trout live.
  • Like 1