Fly Fusion Forums

Wader Reviews?

Conor

I know this s a rehashed topic, but I couldn't find a thread in the search feature for some reason.

I am in the market for a new pair of waders. With the loonie so high, I am looking on-line and some sweet deals are tempting me away from my previous leaning of Simms Guide.

Does anyone have any long-term experience with some of these models:

Cloudveil 8x

LL bean

Cabelas

Simms guide

Any other "defiantly buy again" favorites?

I have about a 100-150 trips on my Ovis mid-level (Gold medal?) breathables. I also have a similar number of aquaseal repairs, starting within a dozen trips. They are beyond repair now and need replacing.

I know this s a rehashed topic, but I couldn't find a thread in the search feature for some reason.

I am in the market for a new pair of waders. With the loonie so high, I am looking on-line and some sweet deals are tempting me away from my previous leaning of Simms Guide.

Does anyone have any long-term experience with some of these models:

Cloudveil 8x

LL bean

Cabelas

Simms guide

Any other "defiantly buy again" favorites?

I have about a 100-150 trips on my Ovis mid-level (Gold medal?) breathables. I also have a similar number of aquaseal repairs, starting within a dozen trips. They are beyond repair now and need replacing.

I've had my Simms L2 Gore-Tex waders for 3 years now and was very pleased with them. Ive only had to repair them once and that was after I was attacked by a pack of dogs on Prarie Creek this September. I was extremely pleased with them. They had probably 300-350+ days on the water with no leaks. Before that I had used Patagonia and Orvis and was pleased with both brands. I'll be in the market for a new pair of waders this new year as well and I'm debating over Orvis Tailwater XT or Cloudveil 8x.

James

I will vouge for the Cloudveils. Out of the box they fit me better then any other brand wader I have so far tried. Although they do now have a hole in the knee from when I took a tumble. Its odd though because there is onyl a light scuff on the outside fabric and no tears at all, but thats where it's leaking, I guewss it is my fault though. I sent back 2 pairs of Orvis Pro Guide 2's prior to the Cloudveils. My dad is using a pair of there entry level Clearwater Endura waders, which have a leak on the inside of the leg right along a wear line where the seam tape on the inside is. These waders have been used maybe 6 times and have leaks from wear already, not to happy with that. I have also tried the Bare Blackwaters and didnt have a problem with them for 3 seasons. I would say dollar for dollar the Bares treated me the best, the Cloudveils have been by far the best fitting..... and the Orvis's have given me the most trouble.

I'm also needing to retire my Simms, they were definitely comfortable but they started leaking pretty quick, but I lived with it for 2 years anyway. I've been eying the Cloudveil waders as well, they came down considerably in price from their initial offering in Calgary and are cheaper than SIMMS. For some reason I thought they were a Canadian brand but if not then I guess GREAT! even cheaper. I also like the fact that the wading belt is built in since I always lose my belt. Also you can fold the waders down to your waist to wear like pants, great in the warmer weather.

Let me know what you decide Conor, maybe we can save on shipping.

Connor, have you considered the William Joseph V2 waders? I have a brand new set that I won in a subscription renewal draw. I cant say how they are for durability but I'm sure impressed with the construction of them. If you were interested in taking a look at them I could meet up with you somewhere.

Murray

Bought a new pair last winter, but still haven't gotten around to using them yet. There's something to say about an old comfortable pair that doesn't stress you out when you crawl around on your hands and knees.

Ended up buying a pair of patagonias. Deal was too good to pass up and they have the closest thing to an unconditional warranty in the wader business. Check out the info on waders here: http://www.flybc.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=6936 Good info from people in the business.

I did a lot of research last winter and I beleive the consensus was: Simms, Patagonia, and Dan Bailey that came up the most. (Simms by far the most popular though)

I'd have to go to bat for my Bare Blackwaters, 3 seasons I'd say +/- 350 days in them (wade, float)..had to dip in to the Aquaseal this year to do a few seams though...tough waders, comfortable..aside from the patch in the knee from a nasty piece of Bow River rebar..clean 'em up and they look brand new...

I like my Wardells, have had them about 5 years now and though I have had to aquaseal them they are still working well for me. The only reason they leak is I tend to bushwack aggressively and they lose the real tough battles with poplar trees and assorted bushes, they are fine with the smaller stuff it's the big trees that poke pin holes, oh and the rocks I slide down on my butt.

Cloudveil is also available at WSS. I have a new pair of Redington waders which I received as a replacement for a pair I bought 6 yrs ago.( Thanks Sage/Redington). I rarely wear them as I usually wet wade so I can't give you an honest review. I did buy a pair of Cloudveil wading boots this year and they come with an extra insole to wear when wet wading to fill up your boot when there is no neoprene sock from waders. These boots are great and reasonably priced. Eventually waders wear out. Flyfishing writer, John Gierach, titled one of his books"Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders". That explains it!

Hi there, i was wondering if i could ask a couple of questions(hope the answer is YES). I've come to the conclusion that i need My First pair of waders, don't know where to start and price is somewhat, but not really a issue.. also i am a big man of 6'8 and size 14 shoe size and that seems to be a problem at most stores..Any help would be cool and rewarded one day on the river....

I would vote for the Simms Guides - I've had mine for a year and they're fabulous. Very comfy and tough as far as breathables go. My last pair were Simms Lightweights - and I got 250 hard trips on them before they gave up the ghost.

Jamaican - most places will do custom sizing, including Springbrook right here in town.

You get what you pay for, I'm on my second pair of Orvis Clearwaters in five months. Just like someone mentioned earlier, the inside seam on these waders tend to leak. I will aplaud Orvis for their lifetime warranty though, just had to take them back to Country Pleasures and I had a new pair in minutes.

I got these just this year. I can't tell you about the durability yet, but the comfort is there. 5 Layer where it counts. Slips on an off easily. Just make sure when you order it, that you actually measure your inside seam, and not just go by your current pant size.

It comes in stout 2x large, Mr. Jam.

Cabelas

Does anyone know of a shop that sells the William and Joseph waders? I like what I'm reading about them and would like to have a closer look for myself. I know I can order them from Cabelas but I'd rather try them on before I buy them.

Thanks,

James

i have the simms lightweights and like them a lot but for my next pair i'm going to go with patagonia. very reasonable prices:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/co...R.WOMENS.WADERS

and i'm sure that no other company does as much to preserve the natural environment:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/contributi...mp;assetid=1809

ethical manufacturing policy & great environmental policy. that's the company getting my money next time around. a friend has a pair of patagonia's and likes them (but has less than 30 days on em).

actually, now that i review their website in greater detail, it appears they only sell women's waders. dang it!