Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta Votes Again - Survey

The voting would have gone the same! The PC's needed to go and if people voted WR they would have just formed a coalition and stayed in power. The results for the next election could be very different but there was no other choice this time around. A party that only serves the interests of a small part of the population only got a small percentage of the votes. Not too hard to do the math.

• Like 4

Agreed that the PCs did not deserve to be re-elected..... however I am a little concerned about a lot of the newly elected candidates and their experience...yoga instructors, musicians.... it will an interesting 4 years.... but we needed some sort of change and hopefully some honest politicians for a change....fingers crossed.... the bigger issue is government is a business and can not be run at a deficit forever or you go bankrupt like us in the real world.... oh I forgot they do not play by the same rules as the rest of us....

• Like 1

While concerned a bit, I feel that the younger folk are going to be a lot more involved, and be a hell of a lot more likely to take a stance on something like the environment (e.g., random camping, logging practices, etc) than the old boys who were afraid of the lobby groups.

• Like 1

Although I agree that the PC's did not deserve to be re elected, I am quite concerned about some of the promises Rachel Notely has made. I still think back to that time when Ed Stelmack suggested he was going to review and adjust the royalty rates the oil companies paid. There was an immediate move of jobs and companies away from Alberta and into Saskatchewan. It took a long time to catch up. My view also is that if she raises the minimum wages by 50%, corporations are not going to simply absorb these additional costs but will pass them on to the consumer. As was mentioned earlier, you cannot run at a deficit forever, it costs a lot of money to build roads, schools and hospitals and the income has to come from somewhere, maybe increased taxes.

Now, having said all that, I accept that greater minds than mine are working on this but I too am concerned that Yoga instructor and musicians will come out ahead in arguments with high priced corporate lawyers.

This is a situation we are committed to for the next four years so I only hope that Rachel and her merry band will not follow in the footsteps of the Ontario NDPers and put us so far into dept that we cannot dig ourselves out.

• Like 1

I would vote NDP again in a heart beat. People need to understand that MLAs are backed up by a highly experienced public service. Saying that you can't be an MLA without having been one before is circular and absurd. MLAs also don't do a lot of the actual nitty gritty work. There was a time before the 44 year dynasty when the PC party led by Peter Lougheed (widely considered the greatest Albertan Premier) had little to no experience and ended a 36 year dynasty themselves. People are concerned that Albertans are going to be represented by a wide cross section of our society? I think that's how democracy is supposed to work. I was definitely more concerned when I was being represented by an entitled hegemony of 60 year old white dudes.

Also, I'm going to leave this little bit of statistics here: http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2011/04/29/fiscal-record-of-canadian-political-parties/

• Like 4

I would vote NDP again in a heart beat. People need to understand that MLAs are backed up by a highly experienced public service. Saying that you can't be an MLA without having been one before is circular and absurd. MLAs also don't do a lot of the actual nitty gritty work. There was a time before the 44 year dynasty when the PC party led by Peter Lougheed (widely considered the greatest Albertan Premier) had little to no experience and ended a 36 year dynasty themselves. People are concerned that Albertans are going to be represented by a wide cross section of our society? I think that's how democracy is supposed to work. I was definitely more concerned when I was being represented by an entitled hegemony of 60 year old white dudes.

Also, I'm going to leave this little bit of statistics here: http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2011/04/29/fiscal-record-of-canadian-political-parties/

Thanks for that link. Certainly very surprising numbers for me to see, especially given the comments abound on the net regarding the past record of NDP governments across Canada. I think this info needs to be shared more widely, if for no other reason than to give pause to some of the "chicken little" thinking out there.

• Like 1