Fly Fusion Forums

Boots

bloom

So, I'm in the market for new boots (no surprise to those I've fished with this year). Some of the things I'm looking for are:

1. Durability

2. Safety/Ankle support (fish a lot my myself)

3. Lightweight (I cover a lot of water when I'm fishing)

Cost really isn't a concern right now.

Anyone use studs around here? How much of a difference do they make in Alberta waters?

Guest Rocknbugs
So, I'm in the market for new boots (no surprise to those I've fished with this year). Some of the things I'm looking for are:

1. Durability

2. Safety/Ankle support (fish a lot my myself)

3. Lightweight (I cover a lot of water when I'm fishing)

Cost really isn't a concern right now.

Anyone use studs around here? How much of a difference do they make in Alberta waters?

Korker Guides, I bought a pair, super lightweight you dont have to tie them up they are on a Pully wire system (great so easy) also they have 2 set of soles, you have your felts and you have hiking boot soles for those long walks to the river or stream. Check'em out they have them at Fishtales and there are 2 or 3 differant kinds of them.

Guest bigbadbrent

Korkers are pretty good, but i broke my straps on some of my felt soles, so they wouldnt stay in (and they're impossible to walk with, with a sole not in!). I also found them kind of heavy. I also have the cheapo springbrook ones right now, which do their job, but they're not the greatest by any means. They're actually painful to be in, if they're not wet (walking to the river sucks!)

Personally, im all about the Simms Guide Boot with studded Aquastealth...sooo nice

i have water striders, combo sole, hiking rubber on the outside, and the middle is felt and studs. i love them. very comfortable, so far durable. has the scuff toe material and really good ankle support.

i had a pair of just felt soles and then i used my hiking boots for awhile. i do find that the studs make a difference in slime covered rocks and loose shale or gravel slopes

I have been using the Korker Guide Boots with Boa laces and carbide Studs...Very good quality, comfort and grip, but studs are a little noisy on the rocks, so it is a good idea to wade slowly and as quietly as possible. The sound of metal studs on the rocks is a very un-natural sound to a trout and could raise the alarm.

i had a pair of water skeeters that totaly blew out after being a year old and after a few long hikes, i have the korker giudes now with the boa system they are super light and really easy to get in and out of but you might want to get the lace up ones i think they would have a little better ankle support the boa system is really good but it just doesn't seem to tighten the way laces will ,i guess its kinda apersonal preference thing i like to do up my boots pretty snug

I have been using the Korker Guide Boots with Boa laces and carbide Studs...Very good quality, comfort and grip, but studs are a little noisy on the rocks, so it is a good idea to wade slowly and as quietly as possible. The sound of metal studs on the rocks is a very un-natural sound to a trout and could raise the alarm.

And now we know why you make those 100' casts- just to find trout you haven't spooked yet! :P

I bought a pair of Korkers Streamborn this spring, they are great for support, lightweight, easy in/out..only complaint i have is I went through 4 pair of laces this year (don't even say it cause that Boa system wouldn't last me 2 outings) I'm tough on gear, I'm a big boy and I go hard..I'd imagine i will get another season from them though..

as for the soles...I had the felt come unattached from the sole on one pair (replaced free of charge :) ) and my first outing in the spiked soles last week..the plastic part of the sole split in several places in the cold...(also replaced free of charge)..

for anybody getting replacement soles for Korkers, I'd suggest getting a size larger, they fit better after the boot has been broken in..13 soles for my 13's were a little on the small side...14's fit snug..

I have ~400 days on a pair of simms freestones. They look like they did the day I bought them. Bombproof. I'll be replacing the felt soon, and I expect to get another couple hundred days on them.

Ankle support is good. They are a bit heavy; not exactly high tech.

Get a good pair of boot laces if you get this pair and throw them on right away. I spent a few days laced up with twine or tippet before I put a pair of synthetic boot laces on them. Made the on-off even easier than it was before, and they are much more durable.

I've got a pair of Patagonia boots which I got two years ago, they look brand new and I've got decent wear into then. They are studded and I've yet to take a spill in them (because of lack of traction). I have no idea what they cost though because my wife bought them as a gift for me.

-al

I purchased a pair of Cloudveil boots at Fishtales. The sales clerk tried to push me towards Korkers but I like the full felt sole of the Cloudveils as compared to the middle felt sole of the Korkers. The Cloudveils are extremely light and very comfortable. They also come with an extra insole to be used when wet wading when you need to fill up the boot for a better fit. So for the first season they have been great. I'll have to wait a few more years to report how durable they are.

http://www.cloudveil.com/mens/angling/boot...+boot--CF00001/

I also have the cheapo springbrook ones right now, which do their job, but they're not the greatest by any means. They're actually painful to be in, if they're not wet (walking to the river sucks!)

Have gone through two pairs of those boots this summer. not a fan of them, but they are cheap... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Simms-Keen-Wading-Boot-...bayphotohosting

these are not studded but they should be pretty good. I did some research cause my feet are always dead after working long days and found that keen shoes come highly reccomended for comfort..... I bought a pair of keens and they are great...... I have these stupid fat, flat feet and the keen shoes are the most comfortable I have worn in years....... SO these are a simms/keen cross...... they should rock....

Hi Bloom

If you do much fishing out of a driftboat or a raft I would stay away from boots with studs. Not only are they hard on the boats but they make standing tough.

Guito

Just like any other time I think I need something...i go overboard. I'm now leaning to two pairs...simms felt, and simms aquastealth with studs. Should have everything covered here now eh? Got talking to a few people who were amazed I only had one pair of boots for all situations...I guess I was falling behind in the gear race...time to catch up again ;)

I have these stupid fat, flat feet and the keen shoes are the most comfortable I have worn in years

I have the same feet and I always have to walk in shoes before buying them cause almost half of the footwear out there will give my feet agony. Those Keens look nice, and I haven't read anything bad about Simms.

293f_1.JPG

Thanks for the report.

I have Simms Guides with 300 days on them and they're pretty good - but they shrink like a bastard when they dry and the walk to the river is never fun.

Was never a factor when the boots never got dry, but now that I'm a weekend warrior I'll be going with those Korkers without laces.