Fly Fusion Forums

Better Luck In 60 Minutes

flyangler

My first steelhead since last April and the first of two in one hour:

8b4sjk5.jpg

Both were caught in Wisconsin on the Crystal Meth that Pacres showed me.

SWEEEEET!!!

Gotta tell ya, I admire your patience & perserverance; I know you put in lots of casts between April & these steelies.

Must be super-satisfying; give yerself a little pat on the back from your FFC cohorts( if your arm isn't too sore from

all that casting). Kudos, m'lady!

-Steve M-

I'd gotten so discouraged that my attitude was beastly. After a weekend of fruitless steelheading before Halloween, my husband forbade me to go with him the first weekend in November. I had to go by myself last Friday. All's well now, though the season ends this week and I don't have time for a return trip. Good way to close it out. Thanks all for your encouragement.

Just read an article in TU magazine called "Scandal on the Skeena" that said "Returns for the early run of summer steelhead were the worst on record: by July 23, just 642 steelhead had returned, compared to the average of 4,368."

I'm gonna say that's why my luck was so poor. That and I stink.

Hey Sarah, glad to hear that the drugs kicked in. :)

Here is a picture of the fly in questions. I think it would do pretty well on the bow, anyone tried it before?

crystal_meth_pearl_full.jpg

That fly is a killer in the spring and fall.

My first GL steelhead was on that fly... dropped from a heavy stonefly to gt it down. Its an amazing thing!

Nice work Flyangler

Just read an article in TU magazine called "Scandal on the Skeena" that said "Returns for the early run of summer steelhead were the worst on record: by July 23, just 642 steelhead had returned, compared to the average of 4,368."

I'm gonna say that's why my luck was so poor. That and I stink.

a lot of the salmonoid runs this year were either way down or almost non-existant, even the native fisheries closed down their sockeye run. strange year. i was in Campbell river in August/sept. the pink run was down and the cohos were just coming in but all the ocean guys said the coho numbers were way down in the straight. i only saw about 10 pinks staging in the quansam just below the hatchery. i spoke with the hatchery guy and he said to date about half the numbers that usually come had actually arrived.

so i dont think you suck... flyangler. beauty fish btw