Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Drifting Tips

I am new to this forum, and a very new drift boat guy.

We finished building our macKenzie River Drift Boat late in 2012 and got only one drift in that year. Then the floods with only 2ce on the water that year! Since the flood, I find it very hard for a relative novice like myself to drift the Bow. Picking the right channel and knowing where to slow down for the good fish holes has been very challenging for me.

It seems to me like you need to drift it an awful lot to get to know the river every year.

How many drifts does it take you experienced guys to "re-learn" the river after the ice goes out and again after the June floods?

• Like 1

My hint, always slow down. Fish everything. You can always row out when it's dark...

Stick to the main channel if you're unsure about what is floatable (and right now, most back channels are not), park your boat at the bottom of channels and walk back up.

• Like 3

Although it may not be apparent based on the behaviour of other oarsmen on the Bow, drift boat etiquette generally dictates staying out of the skinny side channels. If someone is fishing a side channel, you'll have no choice but to drift over their water.

My advice - find a boat who's captain appears competent and follow them at a reasonable distance (500-1000m).

Fishyfish: I would do the opposite. Think for yourself! Go places others don't go. Fish secondary and tertiary spots, especially on busy days. Don't follow the pack! Fly fishing is intrinsically individualistic. To me, fly fishermen who feel inclined to follow others should stick to team sports.

One small anecdote, and yes, it's shamelessly boastful: was following a boat run by a reputable guide a couple of autumns back, down a long riffle ending at one of the big classic banks. The lower part of the riffle widened suddenly behind an island, edged by a seam. Mr. Guide drifts straight on down, oblivious, missing the entire seam. My guy sets us gently to the left, my other guy casts across the seam, and WHAMMO, brown on. Coming near the end of a slow day, it was great. The boat ahead of us missed the entire event.

We were following the other boat only in the physical sense.

I agree with you WyomingGeorge - but if you're still learning the ropes, follow the leader is a great way to learn the basics for the OP. It's a big river, and until you learn to read water, it's helpful to learn by example. I'm all over fishing the water everyone leaves behind, but it takes experience to identify those areas.

Float a 100 yds stop get out walk around repeat.Anchor, fish for 10 minutes, slide down 20 yds anchor again fish repeat.You'll find all the spots within the spots that you just wouldn't see if you just floated by.

WOW! you really do need to spend days and days and days and days on the water. Waht a great life!

Although it may not be apparent based on the behaviour of other oarsmen on the Bow, drift boat etiquette generally dictates staying out of the skinny side channels. If someone is fishing a side channel, you'll have no choice but to drift over their water.

My advice - find a boat who's captain appears competent and follow them at a reasonable distance (500-1000m).

I had not heard of this boat etiquette before, thanks