Fly Fusion Forums

Montana Boat Inspections

Found out that boats need to be inspected for Zebra mussels before hitting the water in Montana on the weekend. Inspections have to be done every 7 days. Limited number of road side inspection stations available. Project just getting started and probably will evolve over time. Worth looking into if you are planning a trip south so you can plan travel routes to hit inspection site.

Any of you guys been through an inspection down there?

Signs said there would be stiff fines if you don't have the inspection paperwork.

Yes, been thru them,right at the boat launch, they inspected my boat & trailer, they handed out some brochures & a cleaning kit, scored an extra kit for later. I explained that I pressure wash my boat & trailer between rivers & between countries, which they liked, concerned about transporting anything, zebra mussels or whirling disease.

Wasn't given any paperwork though, something new perhaps, & down there for usually only for 5-6 days at a time

Not sure about the ones in Montana but I just ran through the inspection station this weekend coming back from Cascade, MT. I know a bunch of people doing the inspections and they will be set up at Coutts, Crowsnest Pass, Dunmore, Oyen, and a bunch of other sites. They are looking for anything invasive with the main concern on Zebra and Quagga Mussels as well as Eurasian Water Milfoil.

Basically make sure you wash your boat well between water bodies and drain anywhere that might hold water. I wasn't aware that it was mandatory to get inspected in Montana before dropping into the water and the US border guys said nothing about it.

thanks for the heads up. Since we were thinking of going to Montana this summer, I did a quick internet search and came up with Montana's laws on invasive species. It is listed at http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/guide/ais/lawsRegulations.html

and further info on the specific law at http://www.leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/80/7/80-7-1011.htm

In part it states, "The departments shall establish a check station within or adjacent to an invasive species management area to prevent ...."

Looks like there should be inspections stations near popular launch sites. I hope I don't have to search endlessly for one.