Fly Fusion Forums

Discrepancy In The Regs For Pickle Jar Lakes

I'll be guiding a group up to Pickle Jar lakes this summer so needed to confirm the regs and I noticed that there is a discrepancy between the online regs and booklet in ES1 for Pickle Jar Lakes.

Online says Trout Limit 2, booklet says Trout Limit 0.
I think the booklet is correct as they have changed the regs for these lakes as they contain pure strain cutties.
FYI
Peter

Jeez, whoever did the regs this year seems to be having some issues..

From the website: "In case of a discrepancy between the information presented in this on-line version of the guide and the official printed (hardcopy) version, the official printed version shall have precedence."

Thanks Brent!

From the website: "In case of a discrepancy between the information presented in this on-line version of the guide and the official printed (hardcopy) version, the official printed version shall have precedence."

You "THINK" the booklet is correct. Are you not a professional guide or an ABCDEFG or something? Seems a little beneath you to be asking regular people for re-assurance or advice. Just saying, Have a great day man :)

• Like 1

Great question Brent!

I guess it depends on the motives of the guide... In my professional opinion, why not?! The way I look at it, it's a great educational/stewardship opportunity as "Interpretive info builds bridges between landscapes, people and history; reveals stories behind the scenery; and creates memorable and inspiring experiences". Is it always about catching (or is catching the bonus)? Could catching (or attempting to catch) pure strains lead to creating stewardship opportunities!? ABSOLUTELY!!

Lots of guides bring clients to areas that are environmentally sensitive and/or under a lot of angling pressure such as the Castle, Lynx, Carbondale, Liv, Upper Oldman, Upper Highwood, etc. I bet most don't provide any "interpretive", stewardship or educational info... (No judgement)...

I'll throw this out there.. Is it right to be guiding, therefore increasing pressure, for pure strains?

Just a question, no judgement

You know me Pete, I'm 100% for having the guiding regulated, including how many folks and what rivers/lakes are acceptable. Would be interesting to see what the take would be regarding species such as pure westslopes.

Yes Brent, I know! If nothing else (and if the peanut gallery doesn't derail it), a great discussion thread. Maybe the mods can move it on it's own...

You know me Pete, I'm 100% for having the guiding regulated, including how many folks and what rivers/lakes are acceptable. Would be interesting to see what the take would be regarding species such as pure westslopes.

All good. Plus I'm out of the fishing industry, so what the hell do I bitch about!

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised that the government doesn't pay some kid to double check all the regs. Pretty easy job for someone to do in a week of work..

First of.. the reason there is Catch and Release now being implemented on these lakes has nothing to do with the fact..for the most part.. that they are pure strains. It has more to do with the biologists believethat the harvest occuring it hampering the fishing from reaching their growth potiential. I think there out to lunch but I agree with the regulations from the stand point that we don't need to eat these fish. There are are lots of other options if eating fish is what your about. As far as guding people to these lakes I believe that as Pete said this is a wonderful educational opportunity. And Pete is certainly the type of guy you want to guiding in such an area. Now if we can't stop the fish at Job Lake. That is a major concern because that is our brood stock !

• Like 1

First of.. the reason there is Catch and Release now being implemented on these lakes has nothing to do with the fact..for the most part.. that they are pure strains. It has more to do with the biologists believethat the harvest occuring it hampering the fishing from reaching their growth potiential. I think there out to lunch but I agree with the regulations from the stand point that we don't need to eat these fish. There are are lots of other options if eating fish is what your about. As far as guding people to these lakes I believe that as Pete said this is a wonderful educational opportunity. And Pete is certainly the type of guy you want to guiding in such an area. Now if we can't stop the fish at Job Lake. That is a major concern because that is our brood stock !

I would never know because "PETE" will never get the chance to guide me anywhere. Aah the internet, she's a beauty!