Fly Fusion Forums

Sage One

Wondering if anyone here used this rod. I recently acquired a brand new 6wt 9ft and wasn't sure if I was gonna keep or sell it. Anyone have opinions on this rod? I have a couple rods in same weight class already. Before I string this up and cast it any feed back would be great.

You should go cats it. I had one and sold it used for $700.00 because I needed the money. Not a day goes by where I dont regret selling it. Found it great for chucking the big nymph rigs, it was a little fast for me, the older i get the more softer feel i like.

No personal experience here. FWIW, Yellowstone Angler has ranked it as the best 6wt there is. And say what you will about YA shootouts, as someone who has "consumed" all things fly fishing since my addiction started last summer, they do some of the most comprehensive shootouts out there in the land of interweb.

I think if I magically acquired One, my 6wt Access would hit the buy n sell pages faster than you can say "fer sale".

Snout sold me a 5wt One about a month ago and it's hands down the best rod I've cast... It casts huge distances with no effort and can handle tungsten nymph and streamer rigs on the bow. It seems to be very deadly in close as well with good loading, tight loops and good accuracy. My One is paired with the RIO perfection line and it's a match made in heaven. The grip on the one is so comfortable as well, fits my hand perfectly. All my personal preference of course. It was tagged as borderline too stiff on the 5wt shootout, but it doesn't tire my arm or hands like other fast action rods.

Snout missed the One that he sold me so much that he bought another one used from a guy lol.

Ps. I prefer the Trident 5 wt shootout because it's a combo of a bunch of anglers with different skill levels instead of george anderson's opinion :)

Sage ONE

ONE-MAIN.jpg

Price: $775

Weight: 2.7 oz

Line Recommendation: Scientific Anglers GPX

95 points. Sage’s flagship rod, the ONE was the first rod to utilize Konnetic technology. It’s built in Washington and encompasses everything Sage has stood for from day 1. Better casters and those with faster casting strokes reallyliked this rod. They highlighted the ONE’s “great feel” and “effortless distance.” In this test, however, they were overruled by the masses who preferred a more moderate rod.

Casters liked: A favorite amongst new-schoolers with faster casting strokes and better casters.

Not so much: Too fast for the average user.

Bottom Line: Every bit a Sage, the ONE is perfect for the faster caster, but the Method doesn’t give up much in terms of feel and close in accuracy and gives you a lot of extra power.

I can cast double streamer rigs with my 596 one better than another high end brands 7wt. It also nymphs like a dream. Light enough i'd have no problem fishing dries with it, however i like my 390 one more for dries.

I have 7 lines for mine, Rio Gold wf5f, Rio indicator wf5f, rio streamer tip wf5f/i, Rio hover wf5s1, Rio Aqualux wf6i, Rio intouch deep wf5s3 and rio intouch deep wf5s6.

Needless to say, its my do it all rod. Keep it.

Awesome.. Thanks for all the reviews and thoughts. Wonder if my Helios2 or Hydros should go on the chopping block instead... What to do.. Lol gues to many rods and not enough opportunities to fish them all. Mind you both the Orvis rods are 5wts.

Had a 4 weight I liked it but didn't love it felt a little short but that's just me traded it for a 5 weight that is a dream to cast just wish it was a 9'6" and not a 10 but I'm sure I will get used to it .great rods love em either way.Wish I could get the 4 back though