Fly Fusion Forums

Cormorant Invasion

jpinkster

I've lived in Calgary for the better part of 25 years. I'm used to regular sightings of pelicans, loons, mallards, hawks and even the occasional owl. This year I have noticed a new addition to my bird watching collection: cormorants.

It seems they like to congregate around Inglewood bird sanctuary and the Southland dog park. I've heard they can be quite destructive to fish populations, but I have yet to see one feeding. I don't remember ever seeing a cormorant before this year, but now they seem to be all I see. Am I alone here, or am I just not looking up enough?

Don't think I've ever seen them near my home in the "deep South" (aka Lethbridge). Maybe I'm just not used to seeing them in small groups, with my frame of reference being the throngs I've seen in Nova Scotia near my in-laws. This is a great shot of them (not my pic) in Nova Scotia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/margo-chris/5992229134

Hi Gang,

I was so disturbed by this post I thought I'd do a little poking around and pass a message downstream. Apparently, they are part of a NGO project aimed at removing non-native species from the Bow River. They have been working with Pelican, Loon, and Otter and have complained about the number of humans on the water getting in their way. The only other complaint they've had so far is the fish taste a little funny; kinda poopy.

The early results are in and are pointing the finger at human behavior as the most destructive contributor to declining fish populations. Go figure. Rumor has it the river was full of Bull Trout, Cutthroat and Whitefish a couple of hundred years ago and supported a much higher population of avian fishers and Otters too.

They had an idea they asked me to pass along; perhaps one of the indoor pools in Calgary could be stocked with Rainbow and Brown Trout? The ceilings are nice and high for casting and there's very little wind so even the new guys would stand a chance at a good size fish to brag about. I like it!!!!

• Like 4