Fly Fusion Forums

Recommended Streamer Fly-Lines

Hi guys:

Just wanted to ask; need a new line for my 7 weight Z-Axis. Going to chase bulls next week in SE BC.

What do you like for streamer lines for tossing big flies?

I am deciding between the Rio Streamer Tip versus something like the Rio Outbound Short Tip. I hear the Outbound Short Tip can throw flies like a cannon; is it versatile for other situations? Which one of the lines would be good for the Bow? Probably either, does anyone have a preference?

Cheers!

Smitty

• Like 2

I use the Rio Outbound Short and love it for the type of streamer water I like to fish, which is usually not all that deep (banks, riffles and shallower runs rather than really deep holes). It does, as reputed, hurl streamers like there's no tomorrow.

For deep water, a full sinking line or a long sink tip is the way to go. Not only do you get down faster and farther, but you avoid the tendency of a sink tip to form an angle in the water once it does finally get down (meaning you are usually pulling the streamer "up" through the water column, rather than along the bottom) the way a sculpin would swim. The deeper you need to get with a shorter sink tip or sinking leader, the steeper the angle to the floating section becomes, and adding heavier flies or split shot only increase that.

So it depends on the type of water you want to fish. From the sounds of it, you want to get pretty deep.

• Like 1

Monger: You are right.

But the fellow was talking about chasing bulls in SE B.C. Down in the canyon section the Elk has pools that must be 20 ft deep or more. I've stood on some of the cliffs and looked straight down, with no sign of the bottom, and these murky gray torpedo shapes doing lazy circles way down there somewhere. The 15" cutts swimming around above them look like minnows.

Guest bigdirty

What is the advantage of a 24ft sink tip rather than a 10-15ft tip in a river situation?

For deep water, a full sinking line or a long sink tip is the way to go. Not only do you get down faster and farther, but you avoid the tendency of a sink tip to form an angle in the water once it does finally get down (meaning you are usually pulling the streamer "up" through the water column, rather than along the bottom) the way a sculpin would swim. The deeper you need to get with a shorter sink tip or sinking leader, the steeper the angle to the floating section becomes, and adding heavier flies or split shot only increase that.

wyomingGeorge says it best. its about angle of presentation.

that, and I dont know any different.

I've got an outbound short on my 7 wt BVK, and you're right - it throws big stuff like a cannon. And it does it effortlessly. Especially nice for throwing big stuff into the teeth of a wind or if you're limited on room to back-cast. Then again, Ive got a streamer-tip (type 6) and it throws pretty well too. Can't really go wrong with either - just depends on how deep you need to get and how much flow you're dealing with. Outbound with a versi leader to get the fly down quickly could work well too.

I like to have a 6ips and 3ips with me for my streamer fishing. Unless the water is extremely shallow though I generally use the 6 ips.

I'm gonna give another shout out to outbound short, great stuff for effortlessly pounding an area with big meaty streamers. I have some SA streamer express and I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but it was highly recommended to me.

Guest bigdirty

Streamer express is the next line I'm going to try out. Comes in 30 and 50 foot heads. Intermediate running line. Interesting

Streamer express is the next line I'm going to try out. Comes in 30 and 50 foot heads. Intermediate running line. Interesting

I've got the sharksin version and really love fishing it . . . except that it coils like a bastard . . . tons of memory, especially in cold conditions.

Of course, the key to everything is that you have to LIKE streamer fishing to begin with!

I can't believe the number of anglers I run into who think it "doesn't work", or who "only do it when nothing else is working", or that trout somehow aren't "fast enough" to catch them (!) (especially bizarre given that the fastest rippin' streamer retrieve is barely equal to a slow hand-crank of a spinning road). And of course, absolutely for sure, if the water isn't 10 feet of gin-clear crystalline perfection, the fish CAN'T SEE THEM.

Oh yeah, and never, never, never streamer fish in a tailwater. Ever.

It's a wonder anyone even makes streamer lines. Who buys that stuff? Streamer lines are like those weird consumer products sold on late-night cable to old people, like the garden hose that straightens itself out.

• Like 1

SA titan textured line is good as well. Easy to cast and shoots well.

Used Rio streamertip ( clear 10 ft tip) and it started falling apart. After 2 seasons of about 50+ outings I could pull it apart without much force.

From now on I avoid streamer lines with mono core.

I have a 7wt Z-axis for streamer fishing. I really like the SA streamer express 30' for reasons listed by others, and have used a few different weights. On the 7wt Z-axis, I find the 300 grain a tad too heavy to cast, and it sinks very fast, meaning you have to use rather quick retrieves. I wish I had a 250 grain instead. That is what I'd recommend for that rod. 200 grain works well on 6wt rods and shallower water less then 4 ft depth.