Fly Fusion Forums

Disturbing Conditions

Ok here I go again. By now a few of you know that I'm quite concerned about our fisheries. Blah, blah, blah. Well this site is my way of informing fellow fishermen about serious problems involving our fisheries and their ecosystems.

This weekend like many of you I enjoyed fishing the crow. I typically use those wonderful scenic railroad tracks that parallel the river for many miles. They are a great way to get back to the car quick. Well this weekend I noticed something very disturbing. Those picturesque tracks are in dangerous condition. Firstly I know very little about locomotives but I'm no idiot. The tracks are in appalling condition. And obviously this means that a spill (oil, anti freeze, chemicals etc.) is more then possible maybe even probable in these current conditions. If a spill occurred this famous trout fishery would be devastated and since the tracks are seldom out of site from the river a spill would most likely go directly into the river. The trees, valley, OM dam and tail water would all be destroyed. Spills occur frequently in the U.S and it seems that there's almost always something about a river that's been ruined by a railway spill in fly-fishing print.

So I ask you all PLEASE take a step and help prevent this disaster. Please e-mail or write (or whatever!) the CP rail!

Or mark my word there will be a crash:

IMG_0519em.jpg

IMG_0515sm.jpg

IMG_0513em.jpg

IMG_0522em.jpg

IMG_0520em.jpg

Fisher you gotta stop thrown crap on the tracks to force the derailment! But it truth that track needs some repair, but I an't no expert!

Hey fisher did you have some blue appearal on today, I think me and TM drove by you.

bhurt I was out on Saturday so I guess it wasn’t me. I was wearing a blue ski jacket a toque though...

esleech that would be great if you could show this to your friend. Also, if anyone could even send off a quick e-mail that would be great.

I just couldn’t stand it if that river got ruined; it's such a gem. Plus CP rail has been making cuts left right and center and there profits have been doing well too.

They need to here from someone other then me so they just don’t think I'm some winy little environmentalist. I know it’s time consuming but they need to get the message across because the consequences would be catastrophic.

Done, thanks Fisher26. I don't know much about railways but that doesn't look great. Especially with their record of dumping trains into BC rivers (or is that CN?). I wonder if CTV or Global would be interested in looking into it? Maybe the Ministers of Environment and Transportation should be informed? But like I said I don't know anything about railways so maybe it's not that bad, but I would like to hear that from CP.

Um...can we get an opinion from someone who works with rail? The first pics look like surface cracking and the gap looks like an expansion joint - which is open because it's no doubt colder now than it is in July.

I'm all for raising concern where there is concern, but let's make sure that there's something to worry about first.

If there is something to potentially be worried about - I'd cc the Transportation Safety Board (if it's under their mandate - it might be someone else for rail?).

Then by the practice of due diligence which CP is responsible for (as we all are) they can't deny knowledge of it, blah, blah, blah...

Document your documentation, if there's a spill you can always send your correspondence to 1800-media for some good ol fashioned shaming AFTER CP has denied any knowledge of degraded tracks.

Thats some good investigative reporting Fisher. I know diddley squat about rails, but I doubt those conditions are within acceptable standards. An e-mail asking somebody at CP rail (if they are the people to talk to) to explain the damage/wear on the rail tracks would be the best route in my opinon. It could be common wear and tear (personally i doubt it), but it is definitely worth looking into.

I read an article about a substantial spill on the Upper Sacramento River in California that wiped out the entire trout population overnight, brutal.

I don't think there is anything wrong with reporting it to CP. It may be nothing and while we are waiting for someone who may know what we are looking at, there could be an accident. If I was a safety person with CP I wouldn't mind someone being a little over cautious and hey this way we may learn if there is really a problem for future reference.

I don't think there is anything wrong with reporting it to CP. It may be nothing and while we are waiting for someone who may know what we are looking at, there could be an accident. If I was a safety person with CP I wouldn't mind someone being a little over cautious and hey this way we may learn if there is really a problem for future reference.

Totally..I'm sure if brought forward in the proper manner it would get congratulated..

Done, thanks Fisher26.

Great, thanks so much. I really hope that CP will respond if they don't I will send something to the Transportation Safety Board and hopefully they will deal with it.

The scary thing about this is that I walked maybe less than a km of tracks so it's more than probable that other sections of railway along the crow are in bad shape. I will keep you all updated on what’s what and whether CP responds etc.

Thanks for all the help :)

The first three pictures are not as bad as they look as this is called 'scaling', it is due to the constant friction between rail and train wheel forming a work hardened skin that splits from the track, only over a long period would this be a danger.. More concern is the photograph of the ties where the rotted tie's track pins have raised causing it to flex and cause subsequent raising of the adjacent track pins. This causes even more flexing of the rail and loosening of the track pins away from the initial damage until there is a possibility of a derailment due to the track being loose over several ties. The chipped ends of the expansion joint should not be allowed to get as bad as shown in the last photograph as the damage will increase with traffic over it.

I know a little bit about track as when I was a mining apprentice we had to lay the stuff and knew what to look for on inspection of it.

Get your rail company off their fat ass and get it repaired!

Below is the email reply I received from CP regarding this and they want to know the location so they can assess it. Have you passed the info along Fisher26?

Thank you for your email. If possible, could you please forward details on the location of the track in question, and I will ask our Track Maintenance Supervisor to assess for repair.

For your reference, CP is part of a heavily regulated industry, and our safety program consists of comprehensive maintenance and inspection protocols for our entire track system and trains. In addition to a visual and computerized track inspection system and strict maintenance procedures for all locomotives and rail cars, CP has an electronic trackside detection system in place, which monitors track conditions and train performance at all times. We have the most modern safety equipment available today, including: hot bearing and hot wheel detectors, wheel impact load detectors, locomotive event recorders (black boxes) and mobile rail-flaw detection equipment with ultrasonic and magnetic resonance scanning technology. CP track maintenance employees regularly perform visual or computerized track inspections throughout our system. Train crews also are trained to report any concerns they may have with track conditions. Additional track inspections are carried out as needed during extremes of heat or cold, or extraordinary environmental conditions such as high water or excessive rainfall. Engineering field personnel conduct walking inspections to check the integrity of all track joint bars.

Once I have the information on the location, we will investigate for safety concerns, and address as required to maintain the integrity of the rail network. Canadian Pacific views the safety and security of residents in the communities which we operate as a top priority, and works hard to ensure that we operate as safely as possible.

Kind regards,

Christine Brown

Community Relations Advisor

Canadian Pacific Railway

1-800-766-7912

Community_Connect@cpr.ca

I received the same letter except that they also mentioned that travelling along railway tracks is a trespassing violation. Many of us may not know this but the Railroad police are Federal and can fine or arrest you if you venture on to their tracks so just be aware....info only from me not meant to offend anyone....Kerry

Trespassing...what a joke these rail companys are. Then I guess it is better to just report any concerns to the Transportation Saftey Board, rather than deal with the other idiots. Then the TSB might be forced to investigate the complaint. Seems the rail industry makes their own rules to suit their shareholders interests, regardless of the impact to our environment or public saftey.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/stats/rail/2005/prelim_2005.pdf

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/stats/rail/2007_jul/R07_2007_e.pdf

They have to call it tresspassing unless there is a controled crossing - no different than jaywalking... we all do it but it may not be safe.

I recieved the same response back - I think as concerned citizens we have an obligation to provide me detailed information if possible.

I don't say much in the forum as I am the shy loner type of flyfisherman but I would be pleased to contact her directly with the concerns of the group.

UPDATE:

I received the same e-mail and a phone call. The lady was very respectful and seemed concerned. I sent them the pics you see in my original post plus the absolute location of the problem. I also sent a picture of the exact google earth location. They will send in a person to check the tracks out.

If you wish to respond (not absolutely necessary) e-mail these locations: Latitude: 49°33'16.32"N Longitude: 114°18'25.43"W. I'm sorry for not telling you about the trespassing thing. I put in my complaint that I was walking "near" the tracks etc. The railway companies must call it trespassing or else if there's an accident where someone is walking along the tracks they’re legally responsible (something to that degree).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to send in a complaint. With the amount of voices they heard they will hopefully quickly respond to the problem.

The CP rail seems to be a responsible company, and at the very least they do pretend to care :)

Again thanks for all the help this board is really supportive!

Thing is it is like this Across the whole country, just to much track and not enough people to prperly inspect it. when CP went private they let go all the Track walkers that check on this stuff. so over the last 30yrs the conditions have deteriorated to this point. Back in Kingston there was a spot I complained about that was missing abount 5 ties in a row, and where there was a tie you could pull the spike out with almost no pressure, and this was a main line through a city and still from what I have heard it is still bad. Personally I think it is amazing that we have had a large disaster yet.

just my opinion

Teck

I think it is very positive that CP seems concerned about this. Imagine what we could do if we all banded together and contacted the local and appropriate authorities about all our concerns related to rivers and the surrounding environment!

I think that if they do get out and fix the tracks it shows industry willing and able to work with the public which is very encouraging!.

I am always ready to jump on a cause and help where I can - esp if it is even remotely related to fishing.

I'm no expert but I monitor the tracks here at my work. Nothing there is worth IMMEDIATE attention however definately needs some TLC in the near future, especially that last picture. I hope they look into it soon. Great post BTW.