Fly Fusion Forums

What Is The Most Common Hook And Size Used For Sjw

ghus32

I know Murray just said that's what he used, but those 37160s are brutal on small fish. Braining or poking eyes out...not a good thing for the little guys.

these ones are the ones i'm talking about Brown-Wire-Wrapped-San-Juan-Worm.jpg

Personally, when i tied worms, i just use a large grub hook:

san-juan-worm-bead-head-red-side1.jpg

• Like 3

I use the same as Murray and with the same rationale (2 different gage wires, depending on the body of water - I will also add a beadhead with the large gage for the bow)... The only difference is that I bend the hook slightly to one side and that way it doesn't poke the fish's eyes out...

P

• Like 2

That's a good point about the hook doing further damage to the fish. Peter, do you find that bending the hook poin sideways is effective? I find that reducing the size of the hook to a size 8 or 10 reduces the collateral damage. I'm certainly open to suggestions though.

Murray

• Like 1

Murray is bang on, if you're fishing those in 8s and 10s your likely not doing damage. The guys fishing 1/0 or size 2's are certainly damaging fish more then a size 10. I've pulled enough 1/0s of these from fish and trees to know they're not uncommon.

Murray, Seems fine, no difference! I just "offset" the hook slightly, nothing too drastic... If I remember correctly, I learned of this from Max...

P

Peter, do you find that bending the hook poin sideways is effective?

i tend to not use a bead because the wire wrapped hook is heavy enough to get my rig on the bottom as it is. I dont like adding split shot a couple of feet above the top hook either as I find that it creates a second hinge point and is a recipie for tangles in your leader. I do understand that if you use 2 or 3 small nymphs( size 16 0r 14) that you need the extra weight to get your hooks down though.

I think I'll give it a try at bending the hook point slightly sideways though. Thanks for the tip Peter.

Murray

• Like 1

Number 6/8 mustad just like the wire worm pictured above, 24G red wire. IMO, the most productive way to tie it was just a red wire wrap, no bead, no thread just red wire. You always want to add something to it after tying a few but with the san juan I found that the more i added the less I caught. Ive also found on the floats ive done that guides like to tie on the big ones size 2s. I dont believe I used a San Juan last season, just went with the PT soft hackle on its own, worked tremendously!