Fly Fusion Forums

Steelhead Question

Jayhad

How come most self-respecting fly anglers protect dirty rainbows and Browns when they start stacking up and the gov mandates that we don't chase them when spawning, but the Holy Grail of freshwater fishing, Steelhead, is free game?

Steelhead aren't as valuable as Bow river rainbows..... that's what the system shows me.

Jay..

The Govt of Alberta works very hard to pound the crap outta spawners or other wildlife that is highly susceptible.

Examples would include the use of bait for whitefish during fall migrations, hunting seasons open during rut, targeting early season pike and on and on.

Fair chase is not a large part of Conservative thinking.

Don

Im sure it has something to do with balancing the many different uses of the resource. Biologists study the system and determine the impact. Then the government ignores the study and does whatever they want to satisfy the majority. Pretty simple........

If it concerns you then i think you should educate yourself with the studies that have been done by biologists and make your own moral decisions on how you are going to fish, when and for what species. (within the regulations of course).

The Rainbows stacking up at the Highwood and fishermen targeting them is a prime example. A study has been done. It proved conclusively that there is little impact on the fish and therefore it continues. With that kind of solid, professional and scientific evidence one can make a decision whether it is right for them or not. Im sure you could take this kind of approach on many waters in many different situations.

If your question is why the government decides to regulate one way or another..... Squeaky wheel gets the grease.IMO. but.... Sometimes they get it right.

• Like 1

Interesting question, although I think the reason is that people are not targeting stacked-up or spawning steelhead as your post seems to imply. Most steelhead fishing is for the fish that are migrating or holding over the winter, so these fish are often months away from spawning. They are also far from stacking up, they are scattered throughout the river, particularly in the fall. I know that in the Skeena system, many rivers freeze up, and then aren't open to angling (between conditions and regulations) again until most steelhead have spawned and returned to the ocean.

In terms of the anglers that target the steelhead, I believe that many are trying to target the freshest fish in the system and have very little to no interest in spawning fish.

Jayhad, have you had the opportunity to fish for steelhead before? In my experience, it is anything but targeting vulnerable fish.

It's is unfortunate most people don't understand. When fishing for steelhead you are not targeting spawning fish.

Summer steelhead can start moving from ocean to fresh water as early as July. And continue until around oct. these fish don't spawn until spring (may ish). All summer steelhead rivers close dec 31, so that means they are left alone several months before they do their deed (protected)

Then there are winter and spring run fish. These fish also spawn in spring. These rivers don't close and you might be more inclined to catch fish closer to their spawn if fishing in may ( there are ways to avoid catching these fish, you can target fresh fish). You can still catch fresh fish in May as some fish are in and out of a system in a very short time frame.

Some rivers that have crossover of summer/winter/spring fish, close the upper stretches (spawning grounds) to protect summer fish that have been in the system longer and are a little more tired/fragile.

Hope this helps. It is unfortunate people base decisions and make comments not knowing or having all the correct info.

PK

• Like 1

jay

I understand what your trying to get across as your question , them big red band bucks or tomatoes , some even call them red fire trucks , heck I've caught em , I used to think they were so nice to look at , don't get me wrong any steelhead is nice , but you move on to trying to catch the better fighting fish , so that means fresher ones from the ocean , some of the nicest steelhead I've seen have been from the lower dean , as they been caught just a mile or so from the ocean , I'm going to fish that piece of water in the next year or two , it's on my bucket list to do

I think most steelhead come into the fresh water months befor they spawn , you can catch them well before they sitting on redds , like Pkk stated , the rivers are closed when they are anywhere near spawning

These days I now like my steelhead speyed and bright like the bumper on my pickup truck , chromed , this one I got in the picture even had a few sea lice , you know they fresh when you can see your fingers through the fins , plus the fight is that much better ,

image_zps6f00b9b4.jpg

• Like 1

Just because a steelhead has a red stripe doesn't mean that it is about to spawn. Yes when they spawn they are typically very dark.Just means it has been in fresh water for a while. In late spring on smaller coastal rivers I have seen females come in chrome bright and be full of eggs. They are prime when they come in and spend very little time in the river.

I have had some red striped fish kick butt. Water temp also comes into play with how hard a fish fights.

PK

• Like 1

I guess I screwed up, if you are trolling you need big baits, clearly this bait wasn't big enough

Jayhad, have you had the opportunity to fish for steelhead before? In my experience, it is anything but targeting vulnerable fish.

Fishpro, I have had the opportunity to fish for steelhead, not much in 2000s but during the 80s and 90s I would estimate I logged 700-900 days steelheading.... mind you half of those days I used sandshrimp and dink floats :masterbaiter:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would you believe someone PM'd me thinking I was talking about using WD40 for steel? Good lord!

Jayhad trolls this board all the time I was merely suggesting he add a little juice to the troll bait he's dangling in front of folks (especially ones that don't get the joke, twice, and PM someone)

• Like 1