Fly Fusion Forums

My Hunt For Brookies..

Looking at the regs.. it looks like there's some Brookies to be had up towards the headwaters of the Elbow River.

Elbow River

from headwaters downstream to Elbow Falls (16-22-6-W5) & tributaries except Quirk Creek.

June 16 to Oct. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other Trout limit 0; Bait Ban.

Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

I haven't been up to this area before.. is anyone familier with the area?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find more bullies than brookies in that main river up there. Try the little meadow tribs if you want the brookies. Or just head to Cataract. I haven't spent too much time in that area but the whenever I do fish up there it is usually pretty spotty.

You can access cataract creek from where it drains into the highwood, but most of the brookies are further upstream and the best place to access that is if you just drive south on the forestry trunk road from highway 541 coming from longview. It is a little ways in but you can't miss it there's a campground right there too

Hit the park Birchy.

There's some great Brookie fishing in the Banff Park.

Try Mud Lake for starters. It's a short hike, about 15 minutes and it's loaded with Brookies like the one in the video. There's Brookies in Mud that are twice that size.

Mud is one of many lakes in the Park that hold decent Brook Trout. The best part is that there are Cutthtoat and Rainbows to be had as well.

I've been to Mud Lake a number of times and there is has always been canoes at the lake for use too. They were still there last summer, so you don't even need to hike in your boat.

You can also cast from shore if you want.

Island Lake on the Alberta - BC border used to have really big Brookies in it, but I don't know anymore. My cousin caught an 8 pounder out of there a few years ago. I know it gets pounded in the winter and I'm sure not many of those caught get released.

Lastly, look for beaver ponds that get Brookies stocked in them. The East and West Stoney creek beaver ponds usually have some nice 14 to 16 inch fatties to be caught.

Hit Birch Lake while you are in the area of the Stoney Creek beaver ponds. It has some nice Brookies too, and the largest colony of Blue Herons in Canada apparently, which is cool.

Or, we could all spend the entire summer fishing Elbow lake and keep our limits each time. This way we could thin them out and maybe allow it to become a decent fishery. It has huge potential, but there are just too many fish.

Hey Birchy..really want Brookies? save up and head to Labrador or northern Quebec..10 Lb Brookies not uncommon, AND my personal favorite...Ounaniche (landlock salmon) a salmon swims up river..man puts a dam across *voila*..best game fish i ever caught.. and these SOB's get BIG..I'm talking 20+ Lb fish that jump 10 feet out of the water a dozen times on a 5 min fight...so...go for the Brookies, stay for the Ounaniche...

I grew up fishing Brookies..they are indeed the best of trout if you ask me....

Hey Birchy..really want Brookies? save up and head to Labrador or northern Quebec..10 Lb Brookies not uncommon, AND my personal favorite...Ounaniche (landlock salmon) a salmon swims up river..man puts a dam across *voila*..best game fish i ever caught.. and these SOB's get BIG..I'm talking 20+ Lb fish that jump 10 feet out of the water a dozen times on a 5 min fight...so...go for the Brookies, stay for the Ounaniche...

I grew up fishing Brookies..they are indeed the best of trout if you ask me....

The only trout I ever caught growing up in Cape Breton. I think that's why I like them so much.. memories. AND I remember them tasting damn good too!

Geez I can't believe no one mentioned Maligne Lake yet...

Average brookie runs about 1 1/2 lbs. Third largest brookie in the world came from the lake (on display in Hinton). And a veritable plethora of fishies!

Some of the brookies will run several pounds. I've seen them caught up to 7 in the past (visually seen them caught or caught them myself).

Not to mention a beautiful setting!

Or... just fly into Fortress and knock em dead!

First post! I've been lurking for a while on here, and I'm finding that it's such a great resource. So greetings to all of you!

I fished a bit of that Elbow stretch last summer. Brookies are few and far between up there (as are all the other fish it seems), and I think the biggest one I caught was 6"-8".

Average brookie runs about 1 1/2 lbs. Third largest brookie in the world came from the lake (on display in Hinton). And a veritable plethora of fishies!

Some of the brookies will run several pounds. I've seen them caught up to 7 in the past (visually seen them caught or caught them myself).

Not to mention a beautiful setting!

Or... just fly into Fortress and knock em dead!

Grizz,

Always looking for a place to bring the wife. Maligne would be perfect as she's always up for a trip to Jasper! Can you rent canoes there (I assume so). Is it good all summer?

Nice to see there are others who like to HUNT for Brookies..

Some good info here..there are a few other spots to go after bigger sized fish ..it all depends if you want to hit still or moving waters. There are still a few BIG fish in OWL but that can be hit and miss and it's a long hike for a miss.

By the way does anyone know where Small lake is ?

Drop me a line if want more info... if you have a Brookie tourney and the date works I will head south !

Shhhhh.....

Kidding, Nice call.

Even if you don't catch fish at Maligne, it's so beautiful, you leave happy anyway.

Caught some beauties awhile back now from shore too, so you wouldn't necessarily need a boat.

The day I was there a person caught one in the 24 inch area, which being a Brookie would put it up around 8 pounds.

Beautiful fish.

Cataracts nice but the upper section has been clear cut and there’s lots of rednecks with multiple trucks quads not to mention baited barbed treble hooks… LOL it's ok but get away from the trails if you want a chance in getting a brookie.

MissinTheBow ? When is the last time you were at Mud ? My sources say it no longer has fish.

Anyone ever tried Herbert in the general area as Mud ?

Last summer and it had fish then. It would be a shame if it lost its fish, it's a beautiful lake.

It is loaded with inlets and springs, so it's hard to believe it could have a total kill, but you never know.

Maybe someone is trying to keep it to themselves. ;)

I've never been the Herbert, but I heard it was pretty similar to Mud.

Might have to take a drive to Mud to confirm the rumours myself.

Grizz,

Always looking for a place to bring the wife. Maligne would be perfect as she's always up for a trip to Jasper! Can you rent canoes there (I assume so). Is it good all summer?

Yes, you can rent aluminum boats, canoes, or freighter canoes (much more stable, longer and more stable but needs an electric motor-can't paddle them).

You can rent from Currie's Guiding (in town), or Maligne Tours (at the lake).

It can be good all summer, like everywhere it has its dog days. June is usually fabulous.

Cheers!

Speaking about renting canoes, it would probably be a lot cheaper to rent one from anywhere outside of jasper like Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, etc... For example I could rent a good canoe for a weekend for 60 bucks at Totem outdoor sports Edm and at maligne lake they rent them for 40 bucks per HOUR!!!

Thought I would give you a heads up

Suntoucher