Fly Fusion Forums

Shipping Pheasant Skins/capes/feathers - Customs Query

RedBeard

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know the regulations on shipping a Pheasant skins, capes or feathers up from the USA to Canada? I have a friend in Nebraska who hunts pheasant & I'm wondering what customs would say about shipping some skins into Canada?

Is it legal? How do the fly tying materials websites ship skins into Canada?

Thanks guys!

Steve

Steve,

A quick & dirty net search got me this:

What can I do if I am not sure about what I can bring into Canada?

If you have something specific in mind that you think you would like to buy abroad that is made of meat or dairy products, animal skins or bird feathers, you can contact the Border Information Service (BIS) before you leave Canada. Call 1-800-461-9999 to reach the automated service 24 hours a day, year-round or to speak to an agent during office hours. If you are already outside Canada, you can call (204) 983-3500 or (506) 636-5064.

Information can also be accessed on the Canada Border Services Agency website.

What happens if I bring back an item that is not allowed?

The prohibited item will be taken away from you at Canada Customs. There are other penalties as well, like fines and even jail sentences.

But you can get occasionally get things through w/o difficulty.

Regards,

Don

Thanks for the help guys, my friend offered to ship the skins (frozen from the polar vortex) up to me on dry ice.. I instead asked him to pluck some of the tail & cape feathers and ship those.

I'd rather not have to deal with drying out pheasant pelts with a newborn baby arriving any day now. Maybe next time he bags some pheasants I will be better prepared!

Steve

• 1 month later...

As an update, the package took quite a while to get through customs, but it came! He just plucked some of the nicer feathers from the bird, put them in an air-tight bag and shipped them to me. Customs opened up and went through the bag, but it seems to have all made it!