Fly Fusion Forums

The Elbow River

snakeman

The whitefish are ridiculous right now, it would take a good effort to not catch them.

Check it out:

fishingetc004.jpg

The tree visible in the upper right of this shot is home to a monster pike who seems to always be in too awkward of a position to present a streamer. One day this week I'm going to sneak up at dusk and see if I can find him roaming. I have seen a really nice rainbow and some small 'bows and browns in this pool as well. Very fishy spot.

Here is an average sized whitey specimen

fishingetc008.jpg

I have spotted some monster whites pushing 20 inches, and have hooked a couple, but haven't landed one of the beasts yet. They fight like logs but use the deadfall in the river to their advantage. Sight fishing for these guys is a blast. It's a great way to learn how to short line nymph without a bobber.

The river:

fishingetc005.jpg

fishingetc001.jpg

Bad pic, but try to spot the brookies.

fishingetc011.jpg

Get out there while ya still can fellas, it's a great time if you like catching rockies (hey, some of us are crazy enough to like them!)

Yeah, I have been fishing this stretch for a few years now and I always find a couple schools of whitefish at this time of year, but I have never seen massive pods like this before. The streambed is covered with pods of rockies like the one pictured from that pool to about 50 yards upstream. Now, if only the brown and rainbow populations were doing this well...

Nice post dude! I fished from the 22 bridge, 2-3 km downstream a while back, and saw one fish, and not the greatest holding water save for a few pools. Your post proves I'm a rookie on that stretch. Nice reel...pflueger supreme?

Try fishing around the Highway 8 bridge, there is some great water for a long stretch downstream of the bridge and a couple of nice pools upstream.

And yep that's a supreme, pretty great reel for the money, it's held up for 2 seasons and served it's purpose well.

Playdoh - no polarized lens, just got lucky with the sun in the perfect position.

Thanks for the comments everyone.