Fly Fusion Forums

What Is Up With This?

Now all you Calgreeians!

I just spent an overnighter in Calgree and went for lunch Sunday @ Earls on 16th and supper @ Joeys on Barlow.

And dammit it all - neither of them carried Bigrock Trad. Now they had swill from the west coast > east coast but not a drop an Alberta Beer.

Even the lodge where my wife and I stay @ near Lake Louise didn't stock Alberta beer.

What's wrong with this? Isn't there anyone in Calgree proud of the best beer brewed - anywhere!

Catch ya'

Don

You go to BC and Montana and they always have the local option at any and all establishments. Unfortunately, most Albertans do not seem as enamored with supporting local anything . . . but I think that's changing, ever so slowly.

Original Joe's has Trad......and lots of great food too! There is something like 9 locations now.

I like the Marda Loop location....lot's of....distractions.

http://www.originaljoes.ca/

Anyway, next time your in town, maybe let us know, would sure be nice to hang out and talk about bamboo.....first Trad is on me.

Now all you Calgreeians!

I just spent an overnighter in Calgree and went for lunch Sunday @ Earls on 16th and supper @ Joeys on Barlow.

And dammit it all - neither of them carried Bigrock Trad. Now they had swill from the west coast > east coast but not a drop an Alberta Beer.

Even the lodge where my wife and I stay @ near Lake Louise didn't stock Alberta beer.

What's wrong with this? Isn't there anyone in Calgree proud of the best beer brewed - anywhere!

Catch ya'

Don

I was up at the Lake Louise lodge and was happy to find they carried "Rutting Elk" from the Grizzly Paw in Canmore.

Sooooooo many great beers around right now. Local, BC, Quebec (yay Unibroue!). I personally haven't had any trouble finding local content, but I can't say I've asked for Big Rock. I like Big Rock, but too much new stuff to try. But Big Rock is really stepping into the craft game recently with a bunch of new brews. Belgians, IPAs, rosemary, etc. Might have to give them a try!

Guys,

My thanks for all the pointers to beers here and there. I do know that Bigrock does provide brewing efforts to a whole whack of companies..

But a confession is in order.

I'm not a beer drinker! For many years I was forced to drink Sicks [ well named ] Pilsner Beer brewed in Lethbridge. Well it did the job but left the drinker full of suds and C02.

So after i discovered whiskey, beer became a thing of a former life.

Well a family thing opened my eyes. One member liked dark beers and Uncle Ben brewed Dark Wolf. Damn it was good but Uncle Ben disappeared and the search was on. Bigrock Traditional was as close as I could find.

I have few criteria on beer.

1] It must be brewed in Alberta - that helps pay my taxes unlike BUD.

2] it must be a dark full flavoured beer

3] it must be unpasturized thereby preserving the Vitamin B and allowing me to drink to good health.

Now cost is not important. The Doc says 1 beer/day so I'm thinking it better be a good 'un. Now @ a 1/day limit, I don't have enought time left to get to all the good ones. Frankly, keep the Trads coming and I'm content.

And with that and all the high water, I'm going pike fishing.

regards,

Don

I was a Big Rock rep in the 90's. We created Albino Rhino for Earls but they decided to have their beer brewed by a different brewery from BC a few years later and still do. A Big Rock employee told me this today. Big Rock is getting a lot more creative these days to compete with the new "Craft" beers. They have made some beauties recently, The aforementioned Rosemary beer and they had a great wet hopped brew this past winter. Paul Gauvreau the brewer is doing a heck of a job. Village Brewery and Wild Rose are awesome breweries too. The days of piss coloured fizzy lawn mowing beers are over!! Great Alberta Barley makes great Alberta beers.

• Like 2

1] It must be brewed in Alberta - that helps pay my taxes unlike BUD.

2] it must be a dark full flavoured beer

3] it must be unpasturized thereby preserving the Vitamin B and allowing me to drink to good health.

Don

Give Wild Rose Brown Ale a try, it fits your criteria. Then around Christmas pick up a bottle of Chocolate Cherry Porter, soooo good.

• Like 1

I was a Big Rock rep in the 90's. We created Albino Rhino for Earls but they decided to have their beer brewed by a different brewery from BC a few years later and still do. A Big Rock employee told me this today. Big Rock is getting a lot more creative these days to compete with the new "Craft" beers. They have made some beauties recently, The aforementioned Rosemary beer and they had a great wet hopped brew this past winter. Paul Gauvreau the brewer is doing a heck of a job. Village Brewery and Wild Rose are awesome breweries too. The days of piss coloured fizzy lawn mowing beers are over!! Great Alberta Barley makes great Alberta beers.

Al, was the rosemary beer you gave me this weekend Big Rock's Rosemary? I had so many different beers, I can't remember. Whichever it was, I liked it (and didn't expect to! Rosemary?)

After visiting the Island, Seattle (specifically the ballard district) and Halifax this year, I'm finally admitting that Calgary just doesn't cut it for beer. I'm very much into craft beer, and have to agree that most tap selections in Calgary fall short for micro brews. The places that do have great draught charge nearly what a 6-pack would cost for a pint, and people pay it!!

Here's my list for best in Calgary in order of my fav's to least

1. Wild Rose (great tap room too!)

2. Brew Brothers in District (hit and miss on the food)

3. Village

4. Brewsters

5. Big Rock

I would say my favourite place for a craft brew at a decent price is the Hop & Brew on 12th. Great pizza too!