Fly Fusion Forums

Ahh Shi%

the Bow and Elbow is always over the drinking water parameters for e. coli, and typically over the recreational. We're downstream of a heck of a lot of cattle farms, had a hell of a lot of overland flooding, and had a waste water system that was not working correctly... I guess this will effect how often i drink from the bottom of my boat, but not the fishing itself..

this won't effect the fishing...don't lick your fingers

• Like 1

the Bow and Elbow is always over the drinking water parameters for e. coli, and typically over the recreational. We're downstream of a heck of a lot of cattle farms, had a hell of a lot of overland flooding, and had a waste water system that was not working correctly... I guess this will effect how often i drink from the bottom of my boat, but not the fishing itself..

this won't effect the fishing...don't lick your fingers

Of course not but it's something all recreational users should be aware of, especially those that drink out of the bottom of their boats

• Like 1

crazy! I'm sure it more common than we think. taking samples at the treatment plant the day of the train accident like someone else posted in the link is a little off to me... would like to see more testing now and in more areas after the whole river has mixed glenmore south land police mackinnon and so on.. I'm sure u can find all sorts of stuff at a treatment plant the day they are evacuated and forced to run at a low capacity! anyone know how long ecoli can live....in the bow

• Like 1

It actually has been common in the bow and a lot of small streams especially near cattle areas, but not in the high amounts they are finding now with all the stuff flushing down the Bow. Most of the E. coli that affects humans comes from cattle. Max I believe the bacteria will sustain itself indefinitely depending on the strain but should lessen to normal values as the Bow clears itself.

Be nice to have somone more knowlagable who has studied it in the sciences comment.

I did water testing at Southland park a few years ago upstream and downstream of the dog park, and every sample was well above the recreational limits (note that there are signs posted at both the Southland Dog Park and Stanley Park on the Elbow that explicitly say that the water is likely not going to meet recreational guidelines).

E. Coli will hold onto sediments, and settle out of the flow. The increase in velocity would have increased the amount of e. coli that was actually in the flow of the water.

Personally, I would not worry about this in the least. The water was absolutely cranking when they were having issues at Bonnybrook. I feel for Medicine hat, but this won't effect our fishing..

• Like 1