Fly Fusion Forums

Line Burns..

Guest bigbadbrent

I have never had that problem when just casting and stripping in and I have had days of a lot of casting...guides tend not to let you slack off too much.

Could it be the way you are letting the line slide under your finger? Everybody is a little different I imagine.

Never get a line burn on trout, but came back from my Steelhead trip with 2 burns on my hands. Once on a strip strike and another on on a loose line pickup during a strike. Get the odd burn fishing for piike on the fly in the spring. Thinking of getting one of those stripping finger covers for that .

The worst line burn I had was caused when the fish took me out to the backing and as I use micro backing this just cut through like a knife! I have always hand lined fish but now I am tending to get more onto the reel instead, hand lining has the great advantage of being able to feel all the nuances of the fight but the disadvantage of this is loads of slack that can create tangles and lost fish as has happened in the past. Just as well I managed to land the fish or it would have been a case of all pain and no gain!