Fly Fusion Forums

My First Rock Fish

Glenbow

I went snipe hunting once in Texas. Stood around for hours with my paper sack, but none of those suckers showed up. I thought I heard some, but didn't catch any. Couldn't find my friends afterwards either. Don't know what happened to them.
There's your problem Hoss, shoulda used burlap instead of paper.... makes a big Big difference.

Pipes, that is clearly a northen freshwater snapping clam, evidently snagged whilst TROLLING a cheap Williams Wobbler immitation. I stalked my rock fish as I know their migration patterns, and caught it on a fly. My chronie is less than 1/2 the size of 1 barb on that treble hook. And best of all, I don't look like that guy. Nice try!

Sorry Glen, my buddy still holds the Alberta record. Note: this is not the proper holding technique. One should always support the rockfish from the underside as Glenbow shows.

IMGP0720.jpg

Pipes,

This is a fly fishing site. We don't take well to pictures showing snapping freshwater clams being butchered by what looks like a BARBED treble hook. He probably killed and ate the clam. I hope he chokes on that hotdog!

All that said, anyone know where I can get a shirt like that?

Pipes,

This is a fly fishing site. We don't take well to pictures showing snapping freshwater clams being butchered by what looks like a BARBED treble hook. He probably killed and ate the clam. I hope he chokes on that hotdog!

All that said, anyone know where I can get a shirt like that?

Rickr, By definition, we did "fly" into this lake to fish, so yes we were fly fishing!

And I am pretty sure the regs say you don't have to de-barb if it is a treble :P

I will agree that this guy is pretty shady though.

PS. All hooks were de-barbed, we took a quick picture and released the clam to live another day.

Lynn,

We are a mature lot of ultra-sophisticated, genteel fly fishers. I am dismayed at your appraisal of us and hereby notify you that I shall NOT request your accompanyment at the annual secret fly-fisherman's ball.

But thanks for the compliment.

And if we ever do actually have a ball, you can of course come. I'm such a wuss.

Why, over my 'rock'ing chair, of course!

LOL.... :lol:

I also have tangled with this elusive creature. I landed mine on a #8 sjw from the Bow River. The species I got was the "rockacovadd ingooickius"

Once cleaned up, it stayed in my bag for good luck. Unlike you guys, I bonked my catch..... :P:P

(seriously, I kept it for like 6 years as a good luck stone)