Fly Fusion Forums

My First Rock Fish

Glenbow

I caught my first rock fish on Saturday, it took the chironomid. It fought at first, but then came in like a pussy cat. I am definitely fishing with some wierd mojo to be catching the things that I am lately.

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

I think it might be an Alberta record........we'll never know for sure, as I released it before weighing & measuring it.

Glen!!!!!!!! you gave away the magic rockfish fly! now people everywhere are gonna be catching rockfish..... look what you've done. Better sell me your whole inventory of chromies in order to protect this valuable resource.

PS you catch that on the spey rod as well?

Oh yeah, Brewingup it's a secret chironomid pattern that I like to call a 'chromie'. Silver body, red wrap with a black head and white poofy stuff above the head.

I'm all out of white poofy stuff; can I substitute white fluffy stuff? Is fluffy stuff good enough?

Oh yeah, Brewingup it's a secret chironomid pattern that I like to call a 'chromie'. Silver body, red wrap with a black head and white poofy stuff above the head.

Glen,

You being a top notch fly distributor and all, is "white poofy stuff" a technical term? I did a google search on "white poofy stuff" and got a lot of hits about hair, clothes, other such stuff. Nothing about fly tying. Am I missing something? Is it a trade secret?

I broke off a big one the other night...... musta been a ton easy. It was a great surface take in fact he was up waiting for it when it landed...... took about 20 feet of my double taper fly line with it...... on the upside I can now cast my whole double taper line....... Anyways I know where he lives

GGP, I cannot divulge secret fishing techniques over a public forum, but feel free to PM me and we can negotiate information exchange.

Rickr, 'white poofy stuff' is a Glenbow Flyfishing trade secret and it is no surprise to me that you could not find it on Google. I haven't told them about it yet. Let's just say that if you managed to ever get ahold of a Lesser-spotted North American Water Snipe & had a First Nations Elder to tan the hide for you, and a Shaman to perform the rituals to change the colour to white, well I'd just say forget about it & buy some from me. I hope this clears up the mystery a little. It is no wonder that with such exotic materials on this fly pattern that I can catch unique species that most of us have only seen, but never caught. I applaud Cdock & Lone Fisher, who have tangled with this beast & Cdock even landed one too. Keep trying Lone Fisher, keep trying.

GGP, I cannot divulge secret fishing techniques over a public forum, but feel free to PM me and we can negotiate information exchange.

Rickr, 'white poofy stuff' is a Glenbow Flyfishing trade secret and it is no surprise to me that you could not find it on Google. I haven't told them about it yet. Let's just say that if you managed to ever get ahold of a Lesser-spotted North American Water Snipe & had a First Nations Elder to tan the hide for you, and a Shaman to perform the rituals to change the colour to white, well I'd just say forget about it & buy some from me. I hope this clears up the mystery a little. It is no wonder that with such exotic materials on this fly pattern that I can catch unique species that most of us have only seen, but never caught. I applaud Cdock & Lone Fisher, who have tangled with this beast & Cdock even landed one too. Keep trying Lone Fisher, keep trying.

Sound like someone needs to take a transplanted Texan on a ritual high plains snipe hunt out by Gleichen or Standoff... I'd do it but I'm booked full till March :)