Fly Fusion Forums

Watch For Redds

That time of year again for my annual posting. Time to watch out for rainbow trout redds. I saw a very fresh one today on the Bow below glenmore, and yes they do occur in water that you normally wade through

slide-7_bull-trout-redd.jpg

Pretty easy to see this time of year, it looks like a little glowing section on the bottom of the river, typically thigh deep or shallower and in quick water...

A quick reference (and photo source):

http://www.onlinefishinglog.com/blog/23/Spawning-Trout-and-Redds

• Like 4

Great. WIsh I knew what you were talking about. Thanks for bringing up the topic as know I know.

Yes, I am a rookie so I went to 3 different websites. Here's a clip:"Redd superimposition, i.e., spawning over a redd site

where another female has previously laid her eggs, is a
common phenomenon in salmonids. It has been
documented in streams where different species reproduce (Sorensen et al. 1995; Landergren 1999; Taniguchi et al. 2000). Superimposition also occurs among
the individuals of a single salmonid population, ..."
2012 John Wiley & Sons A/S
ECOLOGY OF
FRESHWATER FISH
  • Like 1

Rainbows typically (but not always) spawn off the main channel of the Bow River, so watch side channels especially and the tributaries.

When scoping out redds watch for:

A. A uniform clearing / cleaning of algae and plant material from river bottom in a tear drop or oval shape,

B. A obvious excavation to expose lager sized materials, and

C. An associated deposition of finer materials downstream.

At this time of the year it can be cool to watch trout on redds! Check out the Elbow River to see if they are moving up yet. Temperatures should be getting close soon...

Rock Snot is an issue in so much as it competes or limits the total area where trout (especially for broadcast spawners like mountain whitefish) can successfully spawn. It is important to not that Rock Snot is not invasive to Alberta, but it appears to be growing and expanding its range in part due to lack of ice scour, ice presence, transmission by river users and balanced flows due to highly regulated flows.

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of redds, are there typically many rainbows spawning in the main stem? I saw a green crestliner Jetboat yesterday that was dragging what looked to be a big old rusty rotor off his anchor system so he was able to bomb the banks without backrowing. Looked to be a pretty good way to fish, but can't be good for the stream bed, especially during spawning season.

• Like 2

On the topic of redds, are there typically many rainbows spawning in the main stem? I saw a green crestliner Jetboat yesterday that was dragging what looked to be a big old rusty rotor off his anchor system so he was able to bomb the banks without backrowing. Looked to be a pretty good way to fish, but can't be good for the stream bed, especially during spawning season.

OUCH!!!!

According to a report competed by a masters student about 10 years ago the majority of rainbows (about 75%) living in the Bow River between Carseland and Bearspaw were spawned in the Highwood /Sheep drainage. they tend to spawn in side channels, but that does not mean that practice is not damaging to the ecosystems it touches.

peace.

• Like 1