Fly Fusion Forums

Out Of Province Vehicle Inspection

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to go to get one done. I'm looking at bringing in a 81 chevy 3/4 ton truck out of BC that LOOKS to be in immaculate condition, but IMO these out of province inspections are just another government cash grab and a joke. I don't want to end up paying more than I am for the vehicle in repairs for things like "weather stripping worn" or "chip in windshield"... I miss the days when a friend with a mechanic license and a case of beer got this done for you... Not that I would do something like that. :devil:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to go to get one done. I'm looking at bringing in a 81 chevy 3/4 ton truck out of BC that LOOKS to be in immaculate condition, but IMO these out of province inspections are just another government cash grab and a joke. I don't want to end up paying more than I am for the vehicle in repairs for things like "weather stripping worn" or "chip in windshield"... I miss the days when a friend with a mechanic license and a case of beer got this done for you... Not that I would do something like that. :devil:

The out of province inspection has a lot more paperwork than the inspection for older vehicles that have previously been registered in Alberta. Need a facility that is licensed for out of province rather than the friend/beer style I also have partaken in. I thought Canadian tire was reasonable on the inspections? I would be concerned on how much the retest is if you fail, then do the repairs independently and return to have the repair(s) checked.

It is a pain in the ass. I had this done to the 68 Camaro in my avatar, an original BC car that's now street legal and registered here. A freind did most of the work on it, and his friend did the inspection. If I remember correctly, the friend charged me $900 for labour to make it road worthy (was an old bracket racing car) and the inspection was around $300. It had to go back twice,and was missing 1 small item the second time. The mechanic passed it anyway which was lucky for me. If they're interested in keeping their licenses, they usually won't let anything slide.

You have 10 days to return to the shop after the inspection for re-inspection of any deficiencies at no charge - after 10 days they can ding you labour again.

Try calling Dave at Broken Axle - all the guys on CJA (Jeep Club) deal with him (but I am not positive he does out of provinces).

I just bought another jeep project, a 1951 Willys CJ3A from B.C.- I expect getting it inspected will be a bit of an adventure in frustration. Seat belts, reflectors, windshield, roll bar, wipers, spare tire, doors, roof are all things that were optional purchases so the law says it doesn't have to have them to pass inspection - I just hope I don't end up with some kid who fails it cause the running lights don't work LOL