Fly Fusion Forums

Salt Water Reels.

LastBoyScout

I'm getting ready to seriously gear up for the salt. I've pretty much decided on the LX3.8 but I'm still not certain. I Tried the search feature and didn't find much so I thought I would ask The FFC community what they think.

I have a lx 4.5 I use for Tarpon and it is a thing of beauty! The sound the drag makes is very nice too. The adjustability of the drag is very fine and makes getting the right amount very simplistic. They are a great reel and command a high dollar but like they say, buy once and buy right!

Islanders are top drawer but take a look at the others Tibor Everglades, Riptides , Abels they are all good just need to match model to species... as Iad said buy quality and you will not need to buy it twice. Oh and by the way its a bad habit and addiction sure to cost you a lot of $$$ IMOA :clapping:

Guest Grinr

The 3.8LX is a beautiful river reel and a great match to any salmon/steelhead rod,single or 2hander,the only question I think is if your looking for a "do-it-all" saltwater reel for larger,exotic,saltwater game,you might want the extra backing capacity of the standard arbor??If PNW river casting mixed with some BC coast trolling is as exotic as it gets,you should be fine,you don't really need flyline capacity for trolling mono.

L.B.S. ....

If you do not want to spend hundreds of shekels, consider a Pflueger President. A few folks I know (and me) have them and they seem to be holding up well. I've used mine in salt and it stood up to a decent tarpon. (Some would call it a baby tarpon, but to me it was pretty damn large. ;) )

Clive

PS: Love your avatar. Brings back memories.

All good reels mentioned so far.

I would set a budget and it will be easy to find something that will fit in your budget that you won't regret the purchase. I have had great luck with the following reels

Galvan Rush and Galvan Torques

Abel Super Series 78N

Bauer Super Mackenzies

Hatch reels

Orvis Reels

Sage Reels,

Ross reels (Momentum and Evolution)

Nautilus reels

There are a lot of reels that will fit your needs for a dependable drag system, maybe take your fly rod into some of the fly shops and put the reels on your rod. Play with the reels a little (take it apart, look at the drag) tighten and loosen the drag- see how it feels on your rod and in your hands. Have fun shopping

Thanks for the input guys, I've taken a long look at what information I can find on your suggestions. I don't plan to mooch with it and I'm fortunate to have well equipped buds for my ocational trip to BC. I'm thinking all around flats/mangrove/outcropping/beach. Double reconstruction on my shoulder (still sucks) makes weight a concern so now I have almost to much info. I have to sip a couple pops and decide. One thing I can't seem to find is how much backing you can gain using spun gel.