Fly Fusion Forums

Didymo: A Video Diary

Didymosphenia geminata or rock snot/didymo is a native species to Canada and is present in almost all of it's streams. The question maybe should be: What is causing the blooms?

Daisy Creek is bad the past few yrs and it has really affected the fish population.

Actually I think felt has been used more of a scapegoat than anything else. It certainly has been great for the boot manufacturers in areas where it was banned and everyone had to switch. It didn’t mean people still didn’t spread the spoors just as much. The point is more education on cleaning ALL you gear that comes in contact with Didymo infected waters, driftboats, traditional nets, boot laces, crevices in you waders (seams) all will harbor spores from one body of water to another. And that is the key not transferring, as control at this time is the only option.

-------------------------------

New Zealand has a great Didymo awareness campaign much more effective than the silly felt ban called ‘Check, Clean, Dry’:

Check – before leaving a waterway, check for clumps of algae. Don’t take debris found at the waterway.

Clean – for at least one minute using one of the following: hot water, a two per cent bleach solution or a five per cent solution of salt, dishwashing liquid or antiseptic hand cleaner.

Dry – make sure your items are dry to the touch, and then dry them for an additional 48 hours.

-------------------------------

I have a bleach bucket in the garage that I soak my felt boots in, it has more than 2 percent more like 10. It’s a good idea to hang you equipment so that it dries completely, between trips I also like to hose down waders etc. We need to be the stewards to this; unfortunately there is both not enough education and apathy to clean. This would include pooled water in boats, motors, and launch plus recreation vehicles.

More information here.

• Like 3

I think this is by far the greatest threat to trout populations in Alberta, specifically in critical spring fed areas where species like Bull Trout and Browns spawn. I don't think we understand the issue nearly enough, but i think we've basically lost the battle at limiting its spread/ blooms. Ive noticed bad blooms in some very remote areas where previously you might get a bit of filamentous algae but otherwise nothing. This issue is finally getting some discussion, and rightfully so. I know when you look at the Oldman and Red Deer rivers in the wintertime it gets to be several inches thick over the Brown Trout redds, i cant see how good oxygen concentrations can be maintained under that stuff.

I think that is the stuff coating the rocks on Waterton River on south side by the bridge at Palmer Ranch. There is some slow water there just upstream of the bridge and it gets like shag carpet on the rocks.

I wonder what you do when you're fishing different rivers/streams on consecutive days and overnight isn't long enough for equipment to dry and you're camping. Make it stronger bleach mixture to wash it in?

• Like 1

Was surprised by the lack of concern at the border this past weekend when bringing by boat back from Montana after fishing on the Mo.

Not one question about if it was cleaned, or an inspection to make sure it was (and yes, it was)...

Seems like Wyoming has started to figure it out

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2013/04/02/news/20local_04-02-13.txt

The thing I don't understand is the signage on the bow warning about didymo and washing your equipment. Doesn't the bow have didymo already? The NW section isuch more obvious ( because of cooler and less nutrients) but doesn't this stuff move downstream when it detaches?

Recently made a trip down to the crow and made sure I disinfected the gear and dried it as usual. Never noticed it down there, is it a problem there too?

If this stuff is found naturally, then where? Does cleaning your gear matter on these waters?

The thing I don't understand is the signage on the bow warning about didymo and washing your equipment. Doesn't the bow have didymo already? The NW section isuch more obvious ( because of cooler and less nutrients) but doesn't this stuff move downstream when it detaches?

Recently made a trip down to the crow and made sure I disinfected the gear and dried it as usual. Never noticed it down there, is it a problem there too?

If this stuff is found naturally, then where? Does cleaning your gear matter on these waters?

Id say its been spread everywhere in this province (it was here for many years before being identified as an issue) but only becomes problematic in certain areas. Ive noticed it's at its absolute worst in spring fed areas and tailwaters, which seems to be the issue everywhere didymo is found. I have noticed a bit of didymo on one stretch of the crow, hits a muddy slow section right away though so does not become problematic. Short drive away on the Oldman below the reservoir, it makes the river unfishable for a few days every year. I think the Crowsnest's freestone nature is the main reason you don't see it become too bad, didymo likes stability, it doesnt like freshets.

A unique trait of didymo is it thrives in nutrient poor waters so it seems to appear in streams that otherwise wouldn't have noticeable algae or macrophyte populations. Personally, i don't necessarily clean my gear because of didymo, I'm convinced its already spread everywhere anglers go. I do clean/disinfect my gear however, because who knows what other invasive species is making a move in our province.