Fly Fusion Forums

Naming A New Pattern....

Hawgstoppah

ok so I came up with about 3 really good steelhead ties today wiating on Greg to finish up some last minute work. The question: naming the pattern.... where can I find a database of flies that have names so I do not infringe on another's fly name. Came up with ONE pattern I think will become a classic in my box, and I hope many others boxes soon... pattern and pictures to come after our trip.

You guys ever just sit down and tie without looking at patterns and come up with your own "killer pattern"? :lol::lol: This one is calling out to me "I won't let you down, put me on first!!"

I've tied hundreds of new KILLER patterns. They kill my pocketbook. They kill my supplies. The kill my ego. They kill everything ... but fish. :)

I actually have "created" a couple of winners--one going back 20 years that still graces my fly box. It was tied on a whim. The caddis larva was tied based on photos I had taken--and it is a serious pattern. Someone else named it for me...;)

As for names? There is no one single database--hardly possible. Do a Google search by typing in the proposed name and the adding "fly" and see where it takes you. "Hawgstoppah's Hawg Slayer" ...

There is no registry. Oh God, I said "registry." The federal Liberals will want to get on that right away and start a "fly pattern" registry to protect us all.

ok so I came up with about 3 really good steelhead ties today wiating on Greg to finish up some last minute work. The question: naming the pattern.... where can I find a database of flies that have names so I do not infringe on another's fly name. Came up with ONE pattern I think will become a classic in my box, and I hope many others boxes soon... pattern and pictures to come after our trip.

You guys ever just sit down and tie without looking at patterns and come up with your own "killer pattern"? :lol::lol: This one is calling out to me "I won't let you down, put me on first!!"

I got to the name for my Rusty Nail the same way, sat looking at the hook in the vice for ages before deciding that I wanted a fly that had the same colour all the way through and the only colours I had that would match up were Fiery Brown Seal's Fur and American Speckled Hen Back dyed Crawfish Orange that I had bought on a whim. The end result proved itself as this fly has taken a good many fish now at my local place including a 14lb prime rainbow!

Searching out the name can be a bit harder than you think as I originally called it the Rusty Nailer only to be corrected that a fly of the name, Nailer, already existed so drop the 'er' part and the Rusty Nail was born. It falls into a Classic Wet design and makes a good nymph imitator even though it is tied as a wet. Hopefully others will try it and prove that the effort was worthwhile.

Good luck with your Steely fishing and your new tying.

I think really the best you can do is to avoid the obvious. You already know alot of existing names so try something you haven't heard before.....if you look around say at the Babine Special you will find it under several names so the reverse is also true. There are so many people out there tying so many variations that names and patterns are bound to replicate sometimes. Good luck and yup I think I have created a large number of flies over the years and realistically about 6 patterns are still iin my repetoire. :)

You can also post it and get someone else to suggest a name. Did that with my Doc's October Caddis which Gregg named, but I received some great suggestions from the forum.

There is no registry. Oh God, I said "registry." The federal Liberals will want to get on that right away and start a "fly pattern" registry to protect us all.

Ouch they are dumb enough to do it too. Did I ever tell you about registering my Craftsman heat gun and soldering Gun? Never thought of trying to register the Peter Gunn salmon fly fly Hummm.... I wonder.....

Guys/Gals,

A pattern should only acquire a name after it has been responsible for several thousand fish caught over a period of years. Otherwise it's just another wet dream involving feathers et al. To that end, I've only named 3. They are proven over and over.

catch ya'

Don