Fly Fusion Forums

Sinktip/streamertip Versus Polyleader/versileader For Streamers

vhawk12

I have a question regarding sinktips and sinking leaders, what are the pros and cons of each? To me, the sinking leader is appealing because it offers a quick-change option versus having to rig (and buy) a new spool, line, etc. but what are the drawbacks? Does it significantly change the characteristics of the head of your line by adding more weight, essentially overweighting your line for the given rod?

Just looking for input, I have a full sink right now that I find is waay overkill for streamer fishing.

Thanks.

The thing I found with the poly leaders is that they are difficult to cast when looped onto the end of a floating line. The front taper of your floating line is designed to turn over mono so I found this got me a loop that would collapse in a ball of crap once the front of the fly line rolled out. This fix for this is to take your floating line and cut the front taper back to a point that you can loop a poly leader or some bulk t-14 on, which essentially ruins it as a dry fly line. Could be a better caster than me would have more success without doing this though.

A built for purpose sink tip line is a lot nicer to cast that's for sure.

I bought a cheapo 7wt full sinking line at Walmart several years ago(Crystal River,$20 iirc?)and hacked it up into various lengths(4',6',12',18',24').I then added slip on loop to loop connectors to one end of each of those, and 6' hand tied Maxima leaders that I taper from 20-8lbs in only 3 sections to the 4'-18' sink tips......on the 24 footer I just use 10' of 8lb Maxima,being as I generally only use it for trolling lakes and not casting.......and voila!!For under 30 bucks including loops I built a complete system of sink tips that I use with all my rods from 4-8wt and my 6/7 Beulah Spey as well.Rolled up in labeled ziplock bags,no spare spools to buy and carry,no expensive Versatip lines to buy for each and every rod weight,I just choose the appropriate tip to match the conditions.They work just fine IMO,quick to change,no issues with turnover,hinging or anything that I've noticed.

Open up your loops and slow things down, keep your rod tip high during forward back cast.

Could you tell us what you're currently using for line and what type/length of sinktips?

I'm no pro at this but more info on your gear would be helpful to solve your dilema.

Couple of seasons ago i was trying to cast a giant 12ft type6 leader with a medium action 5wt waist deep in water. After a good whipping and a lot of cussing i gave up. Learned lots since then :)

My main rod is a Sage FLi 6wt, and I just have two lines, a pretty much brand new Rio Gold WF6 and a full sink line that I got probably 10yrs ago (I can't remember brand or the sink rate) but it seems to be made of pure lead if you know what I mean. Never used a sinktip line or sinking leaders, but if I just get rid of the full sink, that frees up a spool and maybe I'll just buy a sinktip line for streamers.

My main rod is a Sage FLi 6wt, and I just have two lines, a pretty much brand new Rio Gold WF6 and a full sink line that I got probably 10yrs ago (I can't remember brand or the sink rate) but it seems to be made of pure lead if you know what I mean. Never used a sinktip line or sinking leaders, but if I just get rid of the full sink, that frees up a spool and maybe I'll just buy a sinktip line for streamers.

Orrrrrr.......you could chop it like I did^^ and build a whole bunch sink tips. ;)

Lol,well I'm lazy too,but I'm more cheap than lazy,haha.....Ok,maybe not "cheap",cuz I do like to buy the best that I can afford......but frugal?If I can build it or fix it myself,that's what I tend to do?

Missing a key bit of info. On foot or out of a boat?

Out of a boat you can go to something like the streamer express (with an intermediate running line). Will get the fly down and keep it down longer... Really important for mid to late season dredging when fish move to mid river structure.

From foot the intermediate running line will sink and tangle, and make shooting tougher, so Id recommend the streamertip from RIO or SA.

Mike and Kevin from Country Pleasures are doing a free seminar on streamer fishing at the Show next weekend. Definitely will be worth a look if you want to increase success

• Like 1

I went to fish tales fly shop in search of a good sink line for pike lakes, I was pointed at the Rio outbound short WF8F/I, and I have never touched my sink tips since, a bit pricey as i recall but worth it I use it on lakes and larger rivers with a 8wt or my TCX 5119 switch. and i can cast this line easily in any application.