Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2013 Edition

ggp

Thanks guys. Just an fyi, they are weighted. Lead tape :)

I've had no luck finding lead tape at the big hardware stores. Where do you buy this normally? I been wanting to try since it watching Davie McPhail vids and see how nicely it builds a body. I imagine they're all the same but while on the topic I suppose...Is there any difference in what's available? I'd imagine the 3M stuff is durable enough to be tightly wound around a hook shank and the adhesive holds on the hook.

This is stuff I've been looking for myself

You can find lead tape at your local golf store..... Or you can pay absurd prices for a quarter of the amount at a local fly shop.

The golf shop will have the lead tape by the roll.

Hope this helps.

Im sure to avid golfers this is a dumb question, but why does a golf shop have lead tape?

So I noticed my first risers out here near Rocky. I was fishing a certain pool that had no action a previous night, when all of a sudden I heard a splash. Instantly as I look I see two risers at once. So instantly I swapped spools and tie on a size 12 stimi. Not one take.

I came home and started working on a small winter stone dry pattern.

After numerous prototypes I came up with this...

75CA9796-BE8B-4A7E-BE97-EE6C840C99C2-977

Trying these guys out tomorrow.

Seems a little big for winter stones try a size 20 black trude type fly, also give the fly a tiny bit of movement. Worked for me on friday. Good luck bro

Glad you had success.

Those are tied on a daiichi 1110 #18...

654583fdaad016a6396cfc0e5fcb689a.jpg

It might look big to you, but they worked well today.

my winter stones are about the size of the extended part of your flys lol

You can find lead tape at your local golf store..... Or you can pay absurd prices for a quarter of the amount at a local fly shop.

The golf shop will have the lead tape by the roll.

Hope this helps.

I'm slow to respond but thanks. I will have to keep pursuing more golf shops. I've only tried one and they didn't have it. The one owned by sportchek or whatever. Nevada bobs i think? All the golfers here at work are looking at me like I'm crazy and have no clue what I'm talking about.

Not calling you out or anything but why don't you share with us your ties.

I'm sure we would all like to see your size 20 trude, as this is a tying thread why don't you share!!

Thanks and looking forward to your contribution.

Trouble with the internet is sometimes people take things the wrong way. Bro in no way am I criticizing your flies , simply sharing what worked for me the other day.

Playing with Boobies

Generally I hate spongy/synthetic boobies but for fishing I make an exception. After watching Brian Chan @ a lake near Kamloops fish these things and do well + listen to him talk about thier effectiveness in the program he presented in Edmonton last winter, I had to crank out some. Unlike the Brits who fish these things like Power Bait, Brian tosses them out, lets them settle a little bit and retrieves quite quickly. His method, unlike the Brits. method results no deep throat hookups which means fish release is very easy. The Brit. method generally meant that the fish were hooked deep in the throat making release near impossbile.

regards,

Don

post-206-0-98631500-1365189607_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-00611400-1365189779_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Grinr

Been working on my lake stuff as well and added some UV ribbed stuff to one of the boxex. They are the ones with the blue cast.

I take it you you like blue chronies Don,hehe?

Is that a go-to color for you,or is it more lake/hatch specific?

I just started tying chronies last weekend for the first time ever,always been more of a skinny water angler,but expanding my horizons I guess you could say,and working on putting together a good selection of chronies at the moment.

Grinr,

Be careful with chironomids - they breed. I now carry more chironomids than stream flies. With the huge diversity in sizes and colours a large selection is required. Depending on location, I've fished chironomids from over an inch in length to less than 1/4". And the colours - that experimentation will go on forever. The UV ones shown are a new experiment based on Reed Curry's work.

See http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?home

Be aware, the flat water fishing is a whole new challenge requiring more expensive gear, on board electronics, a small selection of boats and the like.

Mind you, there are those that troll Stimulators and do well on Stillwater

Don

Guest Grinr

Haha...well I already have all of the expensive gear....my circa 1980's donut style Browning float tube,and my hex nut on a string depth sounder,lol.

I can see getting obsessed over chronie tying though,with a cpl thousand identified species at least.For now though,figgered I'd start with a decent selection in the common colors from 12-18?

• Like 1