Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2013 Edition

ggp

Pokerfish what is that material you are using for the caddis wing... good looking flies dude!

Rainy's 0.5 mm cross link foam. looks good, but it is a might fragile. I don't think it would handle more than one fish. So I am still looking for ideas there. And thanks for the kind words.

Rainy's 0.5 mm cross link foam. looks good, but it is a might fragile. I don't think it would handle more than one fish. So I am still looking for ideas there. And thanks for the kind words.

Always found that the low riding spent type patterns always work best after they've been chewed on a little. I've used brown foil from kettle chips bag with luck.

Snuffy - its a pretty straight forward pattern. It's not mine but I'm not 100% sure where I got it from. It is tied on a 3x long #10 stimulator hook. It has a foam egg sack at the back to help with flotation (and to mimic the egg sack of females). The body is dark olive dubbing with a single strand of krystal flash for ribbing. The main wing is natural deer hair, then you tie in (first pointing forward) a bunch of dark deer hair for the half bullet head, dub backwards to where you tied in the wing, and pull back the dark deer hair to form the head. I leave the tips of the dark deer hair laying on top of the natural wing to give it a bit of two-tone look, though maybe that's just being too lazy to cut them off too! Tie in a couple of legs and some white foam for visibility and its done. I find them quite effective first thing in the season for browns up in central AB. I've attached another photo from a lower angle that shows the layers better.

post-3068-0-51018300-1360885229_thumb.jpg

Tied up some sculpin streamers a few weeks ago and got to fish them today. They are using the fish skulls but look what happened to it in the water!!!! What gives!? Oh crap just noticed the eye of the hook is pointing perhaps the wrong way, hmmm odd...

sculpin_fishskull.jpg

Without having a close look at it, I might think that the rabbit strip might be turning it over due to being top heavy.

Hey guys thanks for the insight! I messaged Flymen Co. on Facebook about it and this what they said

"Unusual, but some very simple adjustments should fix it. I suspect it is a combination of 1. the zonker strip is a little too long which creates too much drag right at the back of the fly which then overrides the weight of the keel on the Sculpin Helmet 2. The hook eye is facing downwards. Try a straight eye or up eye hook. 3. Fish using a loop knot instead of a clinch knot. This should sort it out immediately."

With that in mind I tied up another variation which I like even better anyways and look how it turned out! Looks amazing in the water!! (see video link below). This one is tied with badger fur as the body, would like to use wool of some sort but this worked pretty well.

sculpin_badger.JPG

And this second variation I tied with EP Fibre that is used a lot for saltwater flies. Want to keep the weight down besides the fish skull. Both versions are articulated as well.

sculpin_epfibre.JPG

• Like 1

photo_zpsc2ad5e44.jpg?t=1361576467

Hey guys been tying some San Jaun worms and keep facing the same problem. Chenille always snaps right at the same point. This is an updated version in which I used the wire to set the chenille ends rather than the thread. The fly was soaked in water based head cement.

Any tips?

• Like 1

photo_zpsc2ad5e44.jpg?t=1361576467

Hey guys been tying some San Jaun worms and keep facing the same problem. Chenille always snaps right at the same point. This is an updated version in which I used the wire to set the chenille ends rather than the thread. The fly was soaked in water based head cement.

Any tips?

Interesting concept, let us know how it works

Have not done much fishing with Stone fly Nymphs but use a Stimulator quite a bit so figured might as well give it a shot.

Did not have all the materials and kind of combined 3 or 4 different patterns and came up with this?

Not sure if it will work at all?

DSCF3122.jpg

Sorry SilverDoctor, upon a reread I realized it sounded like that was the updated fly as it was intended to be tied. That's actually the aftermath of casting for about 30 mins. As you can see the chenille is still is breaking at the tie points.

You could try the wire under the chenille and use red thread (or whatever matches you chenille colour) to tie on the chenille. I think its the wire that is giving you the issue as it may be acting as a knife edge cutting the chenille.

Sorry SilverDoctor, upon a reread I realized it sounded like that was the updated fly as it was intended to be tied. That's actually the aftermath of casting for about 30 mins. As you can see the chenille is still is breaking at the tie points.

I wonder if its the brand of chenille. You might want to strengthen the tie in points front and back with a bit of head cement or zap a gap. Weird how its stripping the fibers at the tie in points.

• Like 1