Fly Fusion Forums

Base Layer Advice

What brand of base layer do you use and why? Is there much difference between then? I currently have some simms and Under Armour. Has anyone used the stuff they sell at marks work wear house? It's a bit cheaper and there is always coupons for $10 off.

Over the last few years wool (merino) has come back in popularity.! As with synthetics it still insulates when wet (damp) but with the added advantage that it doesn't stink! There are a few brands, Patagonia, smart wool, Icebreaker, and Ibex are all great brands, but MEC and Helly Hanson, etc. all have their own, as well...

P

For socks I've found those with lambs wool tend to be the warmest. Bought at MEC. I usually go with a thin sock under the thicker lambs wool . I can usually stand a few hours of winter wading without frozen feet.

Up here Icebreaker has been the most popular under goretex for the last couple years - I switched from old-school Lifa because of the massive improvement in comfort, not performance - I think just about anything you buy other than grandpa's red cotton long-johns will work pretty good - winter wading or early spring floating I add a pair of fleece pants.